Teatime Anytime

Description: Open, Tag Graham

Offline Selinda Ashwick

Teatime Anytime
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »

Selinda yawned and stretched as she looked out her window at the sun that had just barely started to peek over the horizon. She loved her shop and her job and everything that came with it, but she also loved these few short moments at the beginning of the day where nothing important needed to be done, before she went downstairs and started to prepare the shop for business. She didn’t mind the work, enjoyed it even, but contrary to what most of her customers thought, tea and her shop wasn’t all she thought about...just most. With one last stretch she checked her clothing in a nearby mirror, then made her way down the stairs that exited into the store’s supply room. Bri would arrive soon to help her with the opening chores but there was no reason she couldn’t get them started.

She walked out of the store room and moved behind the counter, filling several pots with water and setting them over small tongues of Witchfire. These pots would be for the customers that ordered specific teas instead of the pre-made ones she always kept brewed. Once that was done she moved over to the bakery section of the store and started getting things ready for Bri. Where Selinda was passionate about teas, her sister was just a passionate about baking and her talents kept Cuppa full of delicious smelling baked goods that complemented her teas perfectly. She turned her head when she heard the backdoor of the shop open and close, and called out to her sister. “Bri! I’ve got all the baking stuff ready for you when you’re ready!”

Bri yelled her thanks as she came out from the back and started to get the baked goods ready for the day. As her sister busied herself with the baking, Selinda went about brewing the teas she kept made and ready to serve and then went to set that tables and do a bit of cleaning. Once the first muffins came out of the oven, it was time to open. She walked over to the front door, waving to the few people who had already gathered outside and opened the door, welcoming each by name, as they were all regular customers. One older woman even stopped and asked her when she was going to find a nice man and settle down, and Selinda just laughed softly.

“If I can find a man who will put up with my tea obsession, maybe I’ll snatch him up, till then, I’m content with where I am.” The woman patted her cheek lightly and went to the counter to talk to Bri. Selinda breathed in the mornings air, still a bit crisp even though Spring had already arrived, and smiled. Today would be a good day.

Tea in the morning, tea in the evening, tea at supper Time,
466 words  @Graham Hawke Open, Cuppa Tea

Offline Graham Hawke

Re: Teatime Anytime
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
When Graham had left the inn he and the little lutrani at that morning, he was pleased to note at that moment he didn’t have a shadow. Not that the man didn’t mind the little queen following him around, but there were times when he needed a break and right then was one of them. Besides, it had been quite some time since he had been in this particular place and he wanted to scout it out before heading to speak with anyone of high importance. Besides, he really needed to get his mind in order before going in all hot about what had happened back home. It would be horrible for everyone involved if all the men at the court rise to the killing edge. There was no fixing any problems from that.

He had gotten up early that morning, the air still crisp and nipping at his nose. Spring had come but Winter didn’t seem to want to leave quite yet- Graham wished it would. As much as he liked cooler weather something moderate would be welcome then. Something he could use to burn the heat of his temper out in rather than sit inside and sulk all day. Those were days he pulled out the flask for just a sip which often sent Mara in to a frenzy. She hated the brandy he kept on him, and he did drink more than he should at times, but a little something to get the blood flowing never hurt a man. In fact when he was sick he often drank something harder to burn it out of his system. But she insisted on there being better ways than a drink to do that which often caused him to sigh. Mara was just as bad as his mother at times.

Graham was just about to turn around to head back to the warmth of the inn when he saw the little teashop. While he had never been one for tea, his mother had, and seeing the items in the store window brought back fond memories of when he was a child an- were those muffins? His stomach growled in complaint, it had been far too long since he had a muffin and Mother Night look at their size! Before he knew it his feet were moving taking him in to the warm shop where the smells of amazing things washed over him. Yes- two muffins, one for him and one for Mara would do well. Graham couldn’t remember the last time he had seen the queen have a sweet treat. Something like this would work well and go well with… tea? Looking about the shop he shuffled up to the counter, stepping out of the way of some patrons heading for a table. When it was his turn he pointed to the muffins with a wide, boyish grin across his face. “Okay. What types do you have because I’ll be needing two.

@Selinda Ashwick

Offline Selinda Ashwick

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »

Lindy heard the bell over the door chime, signaling that someone had either left or come in, but she was so busy behind the counter that she didn’t take the time to look up to see who it was. It was a little too early for most people to wander in, so it was probably one of her regulars. She was in the process of stacking dishes under the counter when she heard someone approach, causing her to straighten up, a brief look of surprise crossing her face. It was, in fact, a new face. She smiled welcomingly, excited by the prospect of meeting and selling to someone who had never tasted the things she had to offer.

She couldn’t help but laugh at the boyish grin that he flashed her way before asking what kind of muffins she currently had. She had seen that look on many a face of those that walked into her shop, even regulars still got that look when Bri was experimenting with new recipes. She glanced over at the display counter and then back to the man. “Well I suppose I don’t have to ask how I can help you today, but I would like to say Welcome to Cuppa Tea. As for the muffins, I think Bri has cooked up chocolate, raspberry, carrot, apple, and lemon. The raspberries, carrots, and lemons come from our family lands and the apples came from a local grove...before the trees were burned.” a bit of sadness laced her words as she spoke, but her smile never wavered.

She moved to stand behind the display counter and made a gesture with her hand. “We also have an impressive number of scones, cookies, and tarts as well.” she reached into the case and pulled out a small apple tart and placed it on a plate and slid it across the counter to him. “Please, on the house. You’re my first new customer in a while, so I figure you’d probably like to sample something before buying. Would you like a cup of tea to go with that as well…..”

words @Graham Hawke   notes

Offline Graham Hawke

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »
She was a pretty lass- fair in complexion and dark of hair. Her eyes shone with love for what she was doing as well as warmth for those that resided in the little shop. Even her laugh was infectious- a sound he hadn’t heard much back home as Magda had come to burn the trees. It made his heart ache seeing the faces of friends who had once been so joyous to work the orchards now not sure where their futures would take them. Even his own family was starting to feel the strain of having nothing to trade with considering his father had been a broker for many of the orchards in making sure their produce was sent out throughout the realm. He’d fix this though. Somehow he’d fix all of this.

Well I can certainly say you had me at raspberry,” he said with a matching chuckle, eyes already darting to the display case to see if he could pick the particular one out. There were too many to pick from and his stomach said he wanted them all. Opening his mouth to comment again what pleased expression he had was soon replaced with concern. “They burned them here too?” This had to stop. There had to be another way to save what was left of peoples livelihoods without burning the entire damn territory to the ground. His expression probably said as much. Graham had never been good at hiding his emotions.
As the woman removed the tart from the display case he shook his head. He knew an apple treat when he saw one and after what she had said she couldn’t just take it from her. “Ah- here. I insist on paying for that. Apples are going to be a rarity around here I’m afraid- you’re going to want to keep those for coin.” Digging in to his pocket he pulled some lose coin he had out, counting away to see how much he had on his person without calling more in yet.  However at the mention of tea he chuckled again, “I’ve never been much of a tea drinker. My Mam could tell you everything you wanted to know about teas, but not me.” Looking up he gave her a wry grin, “Perhaps you can recommend one?

I actually have a friend that would love some tea as well. She’s tiny, see. I’m not entirely sure what would be best for her since she’s so small.” Then Graham paused, glancing about the shop before looking back to Lindy. “Do you sell little teacups or anything like that too? Like, doll size maybe?

@Selinda Ashwick

Offline Selinda Ashwick

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:20 PM »
Lindy smiled sweetly at the man, who she realized was handsome in a rugged kind of way now that she took the time to really look at him, and shook her head, reaching across the counter and moving her hand to cover his, folding his fingers back around the coins. “Though what you say about the apples is true, and it will be a blow to lose them, it will be more an emotional one than a financial one. Please…” she made a gesture to the tart on the plate with her free hand. “I insist. Save your coins. In exchange, as you seem like someone who might know a thing about apples, you can tell me what you think and if there is anything about the tart that might be improved.” her eyes held a gentle look as she withdrew her hand, her smile still sweet, though there a was tenderness to it that hadn’t been there before. She had seen the array of emotions that had passed over his face when she had mentioned the burning of the fruit trees and she wondered if maybe he or his family were affected in a more negative fashion than her own. Pushing such negative and gloomy thoughts from her head, she tapped her chin with a slender finger and pondered his question regarding her teas and the possibility of a tiny tea cup. “As for a tea that would go well with the tart as well as the raspberry muffins, which you will also be taking, free of charge….” she gave him a stern look that advised him not to argue “I would say a fruity black leaf tea, as the natural sweetness from the tart will pair well with the fruity flavor of the tea. I recommend you try the tea free of sugar or milk to start to get a feeling for what you might want to add to it, though most people do end up adding some type of sweetener. I myself prefer honey to sugar.” As she gathered the things she needed to brew him the perfect cup of tea, she glanced around the shop, her bottom lip caught between her teeth and she tried to remember if they had gotten any children's tea sets in recently. They weren’t extremely popular, so she usually only carried one or two. “Your mother sounds like a person that I would very much like to meet. My whole life is tea, and I would be interested to see if she had any personal blends she’d be willing to share with me.” this said as she continued to search her displays as she started to prepare the tea without watching what she was doing.
words @Graham Hawke   notes

Offline Graham Hawke

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »
Graham chuckled at that, a boyish grin sliding across his face at her noting he might know a thing or two about apples. He did- sort of. It things had been different he might have settled in to finding land for his own orchards. For him it had always been calming walking through the perfect little rows of trees. Everyone helped come harvest: everyone. It didn’t matter what the class or the jewel- everyone was out there working and they enjoyed it. What Graham was going to miss the most was sneaking tastes of apple butter or the hot apple cider that was made during… pushing those memories aside he made sure to note mentally he would leave her something in exchange for this. She wasn’t going to get away without being paid. Period. “I know enough to get  myself in trouble,” he chuckled, reaching out to take the tart. “I’ll be as honest as you wish me to be.

I’ve never been one much for tea,” he replied honestly. He couldn’t tell the difference in one tea from the other. Could he sneak a drop or two of his brandy in it? That might make it something good and it would warm the bones up too. Mara would not approve of him doing that. From the look of it this woman might not either. So he gave her a boyish grin hoping to hide the though thought he just had- women were monsters like that. It was like they could look at a man and know when they were up for trouble. “But I’ll take your word for it and try it this way.

That made Graham grin. Of course- put two tea heads together and Mother Night only knew what would come out of it. However, if things were going as planned, they were preparing to leave the realm. “I’d say you two would get along. If she has time to stop by on their way out I’ll tell her about your place. Darkness knows she’d most likely want to stock up before going through the gate if she can.” Because who knew what was going to be on that side? His mother had never been to Terreille and neither had his father though his family was from there. This was going to be more than interesting.

Looking back to Lindy he shifted on his feet, leaning against the counter as they talked. “I’ve been a bit of a floater myself- nothing like my brother. He’s the better of the combination we have going on.” Which was the truth. Garrett was the better twin by far, but what would he be without Graham? Bored was the answer. Lost and bored. “How did you get in the tea business anyway?

@Selinda Ashwick

Offline Selinda Ashwick

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »

She glanced over her shoulder, and arched her brow at him. “I’d like for you to be as honest as you can manage. Having you lie to me to save my feelings wouldn’t help improve anything.” She huffed softly and moved to another display and continued to look for what he had asked her for. “It can be an acquired taste for some, and it’s very hard to tell the differences in brews if you haven’t the pallet for it. Some people insist on adding things other than a simple sweetener or milk…” she glared playfully at him as she passed him, giving him a once over. “You strike me as one of those people. I advise you to keep to the condiments I provide you…”

She walked back around the counter and started searching high on the shelves above the brew pots. When he mentioned that his parents would be leaving soon she frowned and gave him a disappointed look over her shoulder. “Your parents are going through one of the gates? Are they leaving because of the rot?” She was surprised at how disappointed she sounded and wondered why she had been so keen to meet the parents of a man she had only just met. She chalked it up to learning that one of them was also a tea enthusiast. “If would very much like it if she stopped by, if she can find the time before her trip.” She hesitated slightly. “Will you be going with them?”

Selina stopped her search when he spoke of a brother, and by the words he was using, it sounded like they might be twins. “Darkness save me, there are TWO of you?” Her tone was light and joking as she looked over her shoulder at him then went back to looking for the item he had asked for. Her hazel eyes lit up when she found what she was looking for and she gave a soft “Ah ha!” She was smiling when she turned back to him and present him with a tiny pearlescent rose colored tea cup. “Is this what you were looking for?” She placed the small cup one the counter. She placed her finger gently against the rim of the cum “This I will charge you for, but since you only need one cup out of the set, it’ll be much cheaper. How does...3 copper marks sound?”

words @Graham Hawke notes

Offline Graham Hawke

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
Graham chuckled as he watched her, leaning against the counter, “I have two sisters plus my Ma- I know better than to say one thing and mean another.” Then he paused, a wry smile sliding across his face as he tapped the side of his nose. “Then again I also know how to run really, really fast.” As the woman continued he opened his mouth to chide in though the instant she mentioned people adding other things, well, it was like he was caught red handed. “Oh hey now- when we’d get sick during the winter we’d add some spirits with tea and honey. Perfect for a sore throat and helped us sleep through the night.” Of course he still did it- Mara knew, but he wasn’t going to tell Lindy. Instead he chuckled, holding his hands up in surrender. “Yes, Lady.

Nodding his head the Warlord Prince went back to leaning against the counter, watching Lindy as she moved about. “Yeah. Hard to be in a trade business when you have nothing to trade. Da dealt a lot in the apple business and since all the farms in Redgrove are burned to dust, well…” It hurt. It physically made him feel ill just thinking about it. Graham had screamed, had cried, and thrown a fit when no one was watching till he felt cold inside. That was the closest that he had come to rising to the killing field. “They will be stopping in before they go yes. There’s a few things that need to be put in order before they go.

When she asked if he was going too, he nodded. “Eventually. I have a lot of questions that I need to have answered first. If I can’t get the answers here I’ll go through and find it there so I can bring it back.” Was he going to put a Queen in her place for this? Yes. Yes he was.
The wide grin that split Graham’s face was impressive. “That’s what our Ma says all the time though usually it’s ‘Darkness, why are there two of you?!’” Chuckling, the man shrugged his shoulders in a playful way. “She’s still surprised that we’ve managed to grow into adult hood.

When the little teacup was presented to him he chuckled again. “My little brat of a shadow will like this. Well- I hope she does. Having something like this to drink tea from will be better than trying to take my drinks when I have them.” Graham loved Mara. She was like that annoying little furry sister Queen that he would lay his life down for just like his own family. This little teacup would be a good surprise for her and hopefully smooth the waters after the meeting he was going to have with Magda. “Four coppers- make it all even. Mara will slap me sideways if I didn’t make it fair.

@Selinda Ashwick

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is taking the world that we all know and expanding it by combining the old lore with new lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

We are officially open! We are looking forward to the wonderful stories our members create and welcoming any newcomers to the site.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

Summer - AW101

Please keep the season in mind while posting. The seasons will change on 01/01.

Wanted Spotlight

First Last
Black Widow | Jewels Open | LT
Glaus District Court Seer

C-box

Guest-friendly

Refresh History
  • Mae: well i could work on want ads
    October 13, 2017, 07:46:48 PM
  • Jones: mine finally loaded but I can't actually get a message out D:
    October 13, 2017, 07:44:36 PM
  • Jones: lolol
    October 13, 2017, 07:44:19 PM
  • Mae: i cant work on DN without it XD
    October 13, 2017, 07:43:11 PM
  • Jones: I knooow
    October 13, 2017, 07:42:15 PM
  • Manu: booooo XD
    October 13, 2017, 07:37:51 PM
  • Jones: Their twitter account says they're doing a big mass reset. So hang in there, should be back soon!
    October 13, 2017, 07:32:00 PM
  • Manu: I think discord died D:
    October 13, 2017, 07:25:58 PM
  • WitchesRayvyn: awww we had a guest and I missed them
    October 13, 2017, 11:35:12 AM
  • dergon: Hi guest!
    October 12, 2017, 09:43:48 PM
  • Guest912: -waves-
    October 12, 2017, 08:50:55 PM
  • WitchesRayvyn: Yay!
    October 05, 2017, 07:38:12 PM
  • Skye: Its over!
    October 05, 2017, 04:13:02 PM
  • Io Potamoi: such a cute puppy too! (is Ray)
    September 30, 2017, 09:53:57 PM
  • dergon: oh that was me, wearing my new puppy skin >><<
    September 30, 2017, 07:49:31 PM
  • Mauki: D:
    September 30, 2017, 07:35:21 PM
  • Skye: Not soon enough
    September 30, 2017, 11:15:29 AM
  • dergon: almost skye! one more week <3
    September 28, 2017, 11:56:27 AM
  • Skye: Is it oct 5th yet? -dies-
    September 27, 2017, 04:31:04 PM
  • Siera:
    September 24, 2017, 09:40:05 PM
  • Skye: I'm trying to work posts in around making sugar flowers... But we'll see how this week goes lol. I have half a post written for you though. Bed just called me away.
    September 24, 2017, 07:11:04 AM
  • TheNighttimeSky: Wow look at all the posts today
    September 23, 2017, 10:37:05 PM
  • Skye: Yay!
    September 13, 2017, 02:40:56 PM
  • Salem: Popping in to say I survived Irma! Islands took a beating so I'm gonna be out of power for a bit but I'm alive.
    September 13, 2017, 12:57:41 PM
  • TheNighttimeSky: Remembering 9-11 and all its loved ones
    September 12, 2017, 01:37:50 AM

Recent Topics

Sense without Sanity by Ilithian
[Today at 12:02:38 AM]

A Demon in Distress by Ilithian
[Yesterday at 11:08:45 PM]

Yi, Iseul by dergon
[Yesterday at 09:43:27 PM]

Amiri by The Darkness
[Yesterday at 08:02:41 PM]

Gifts & Greetings by Nyree
[Yesterday at 07:32:29 PM]

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.