Tiger Eye to Summer-sky
  • witch
  • Played By: dergon

Little Kaeleer Terreille
    14 Posts    0 marks
Reminders
« on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »

He’d forgotten the shoes.

Sawyer took a deep breath. Nervous now that she was on his doorstep. Shoe box held in nervous fingers. Feet shuffling, eyes darting. Nervous. Foolish, with shoes for a man she’d rejected. An appointment book nestled inside the box. Tucked in beside the smooth, glossy leather. She hadn’t been able to find a calendar, sadly.

Had thought too, to write his next appointment with her in the book. Pen pressed to page before she’d decided against it. Talked herself out of that one small intrusion. But not this one. Paid the bill and collected the shoes. Brought them here to his home without an invitation of any sort. Sawyer inhaled. Body rising with it. Falling down into her heels. Balancing the box, she knocked. And waited.

Breeze tugging her skirt around her knees. The hem circling the tops of her calves. Cap sleeved sweater keeping the chill from setting in. Bun messy. Hair half braided and wound into a knot at the back of her head. Sawyer waited. Knocked one more time because the shoes were important. That was all. His suit would be ruined if he wore his old ones with it, and her name right along with it. Heart tripping as the door opened. Wide eyes wide open.

”Hi.” Even her smile was nervous. Sawyer licked the back of her teeth and held out the box. ”You forgot yours shoes, Lord Maverick.” Sawyer stepped back. Shoes soft suede with rounded toes. Dyed a pale pink, with sweet laces around her ankle. Sawyer had designed them herself, but had the made by a cobbler. The soles clacked on the stoop. ”I hope I’m not intruding.” She hoped she wasn’t too late.

@Jones

Maverick

Summer-sky to Opal
  • Prince
  • Played By: Jones

sea-loving playwright
    Little Kaeleer Terreille
    9 Posts    0 marks
Re: Reminders
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
Bare toes wiggling against the rug on his bedroom floor Maverick passed a towel down one leg and up the other. Mostly done dripping. Hair hanging limp with dampness. Clinging to his cheeks and forehead. Skin still warm and glowing from a hot shower. The grit of sand and salt from a morning beach trip all washed down the drain.

Briefs pulled up at the same time his front door vibrated with a light knock. ”Just a minute.” He called, not quite loudly enough. Tripping over himself to tug on his trousers. The loose cotton fabric grabbing at his limbs, sticking to the moisture that lingered on his skin. He was still hiking them up when the second knock came. Pulling the hem up from around his ankle he reached for the knob and lost his balance. Shoulder butting the door roughly as he caught himself. ”Shit.”

”Oh. Hello.” One hand on the door frame and the other on the drawstring of his pants he smiled down at Sawyer. Then frowned. Just a little. Eyes sweeping from her anxious smile to the box in her hand. She was smiling, sure, but the way she said his name didn’t seem very promising. So timid! So formal. ”No, not at all Miss Devereaux.”

Of course he had forgotten the damn shoes!

Face coloring he moved out of the doorway. Tall and broad enough to fill it. Afraid she had stepped away because he was crowding. ”I can’t believe I forgot them… Actually that’s not true. I am sorry for the trouble. You didn’t have to bring them.” She’d been so ready to be rid of him the day before.

”Come in.” He tossed a look over his shoulder at the humble apartment he’d occupied for years now. Wished he’d spent the morning cleaning it up instead of surfing. ”If you have the time.” Her nervousness was catching. Tongue stuck in his cheek for a minute before he realized it sounded more like a demand than an offer. ”You don't’ have to. Of course. Its… if you want.”

Sawyer Devereaux

Tiger Eye to Summer-sky
  • witch

Little Kaeleer Terreille
    14 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:54:17 PM »

Sawyer didn’t hear him swear. Eyes captured by the bare expanse of damp chest. Nose enraptured by the smell of him. Those two senses so thoroughly overwhelmed, the rest didn’t seem to function. For a heartbeat Sawyer existed - but did not exist - in stasis. Chest. Scent. Presence. Nostrils flaring, Sawyer felt a quiver run from nose to toes before remembering herself.

He was frowning. She blinked at him. His hair was wet too. He’d been bathing. Escaping his frown, she noticed his hands, ink stained still, drawing his pants tight. Oh. She’d interrupted. Part of her wanted to flee. The small, shy girl part. But Sawyer wasn’t a small shy girl. She never had been. So she didn’t flee. She had shoes to deliver and an apology to make. Maybe two.

Mother Night he smelled amazing.

”Don’t be, I don’t mind.” She’d embarrassed him. Sawyer smiled, this time to curve of her mouth was apologetic rather than nervous. ”The cobbler didn’t have your address.” Sawyer had found it, however. Scribbled on the back of a calling card. She remembered she’d had something delivered to him once. Just then she couldn’t remember what it had been. Box extended, then withdrawn.

She’d not expected an invitation inside. Curious, Sawyer leaned forward, peering into the apartment. All but hugging the shoe box to her chest, Sawyer nodded. Stepped sideways through the doorway, trying not to trample his feet or press too close. Why did he make her so nervous! Sawyer glanced at him. Probably because she’d made a fool of herself in front of him.

He seemed as uncomfortable as she felt.

”I have time.” She turned away from the mess. Bachelors. At least it didn’t smell. Not of anything more than Maverick and ink. But then ink was a part of his scent anyway. ”Thank you for inviting me in.” Torn between wishing a shirt on him and not. His body was as amazing as his smell. Sawyer held the box out for him again. Soft toe of her shoe running up the back of her calf. ”Here.” As if he couldn’t see it.

”I also wanted to apologize,” she announced suddenly. ”For yesterday.” Sawyer’s lips pursed. She’d already started. Why not finish it? Plucked up her courage, hands sliding behind her back, body leaning toward him. Then away. No. She shouldn’t. It was rude. ”I didn’t mean to... insult or invitation. Or make light of opening night.” Or turn him down!

Maverick

Summer-sky to Opal
  • Prince

sea-loving playwright
    Little Kaeleer Terreille
    9 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
”Ah, I see. They wouldn’t have it, no.” Maverick had learned the hard way just how unwise it was to leave his address with people he didn’t trust. Craftsmen and merchants alike could be swayed to sell the information for the right price. And he didn’t need hopeful actors at his door begging for a good word he couldn’t rightly provide. Or fans looking for… well it didn’t matter he hadn’t been interested in providing that either. ”I have to be careful with who I give it to.” 

Did she think he was being pompous? It felt like a very stuck up thing to say. Wetting his lips with the tip of his tongue he watched her peek around the doorframe. Expression not one he could read. All the pores on his skin prickling at her nearness as she slid by into the small living room. There was a couch but he couldn’t offer her a place to sit on it. Sheets of paper were spread across the cushions. Stacks of notes in meticulously kept order. It had seemed a grand place to keep them until that very second.

He supposed the maid was right after all.

”I promise it’s clutter not trash.” Veri motioned to the couch and his desk, which was twice as layered in papers. And a few empty ink bottles, which were actually trash. Maybe Sawyer wouldn’t notice.

Hands sinking to his pockets he hunched his shoulders towards his ears as if that might make him smaller. ”Well thank you for bringing the shoes.” They must have been really important for pulling the suit together. Or she had figured out the scuffed leather loafers he always wore were his only decent pair of shoes. It might embarrass her, to dress someone that couldn’t even remember to buy dress shoes. ”Tea? I promise there’s room to sit in the kitchen, if you wanted to stay that long.”

With a smile he didn’t quite feel up to he tried a flash of self deprecation. ”I’d not blame you, though, if you didn’t want to spend another second with my blundering mouth.” He leaned in then away. Gently taking the box from her hands and vanishing it away without so much as opening the lid. They would be right, he was sure. She would have checked. ”Thanks, again.” How many times was too many when it came to apologies?

Swallowing one down he tried not to follow the movement of her foot. Slinking up her leg until the heel brushed her skirt. With a small sound of surprise he looked up again. Eyes wide as he flapped a hand at the thought. ”You really don’t need to. Everyone’s allowed their opinion.” No. It was Maverick that should be apologizing, really. ”I’m sorry too, I shouldn’t have been forward with you. It’s your place of business. And you were just doing your job, you know. I was inappropriate. There’s no excuse, I just misread the situation and didn’t behave very well.”

Once his mouth opened it seemed unwilling to shut again. Lips and teeth and tongue working over one another to stop the flow of words. With a final pinch of teeth to his lips he swept a hand through his damp hair again. ”I wasn’t insulted, though, that you don’t enjoy the crowded shows. At least you like the plays.” He hoped. She hadn’t actually said so, though had she? Maverick smiled, feeling more the fool than he had before his spewed sorries.

Sawyer Devereaux

Tiger Eye to Summer-sky
  • witch

Little Kaeleer Terreille
    14 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »

”That makes sense,” Sawyer allowed. And it did. She could imagine the sorts of visitors he would be subject to if his address were easily had. Her gaze flicked toward his bared torso again. Especially with that body. The body she tried to ignore as she slid past it and into his house upon accepting the invitation.

Together they looked around his living space. Examined the stacks and spreads of paper. The controlled chaos. Sawyer found the covered couch shocking and amusing both. She should have suspected with his ink stained fingers as evidence.

”I believe you,” Sawyer promised, laughter at the edges of her smile. He looked so terribly guilty. It made her feel all the worse for rejecting him and then show up uninvited the way she had. ”And you’re welcome, for the shoes.” His offer of entrance extended to tea. Sawyer could only shake her head. Oh she wanted to stay for tea, but she had to apologize first.

Though it must have only seemed another rejection. Taken well as he put the blame on himself rather than where it belonged. Sawyer made a soft exclamation of distress. That wasn’t it at all! Shoes passed between them instead of what Sawyer wanted communicated. Damn the shoes! Words tumbling out. Drawing his attention from wherever it had wandered back to her face.

”You weren’t though. Or didn’t.” Sawyer tried to stop him. Arm behind her back. Palm smoothing her skirt over her bottom and down her thigh. This was going horribly. She came a little closer since he wasn’t listening. Drew his hand away from his poor beleaguered hair. Fingers light on his wrist, Sawyer held him, as if it would make him listen better. ”I do like the plays.” She admitted freely. She did! They were wonderful.

”And I’d like to go, with you, if you were still interested.” The words were hard to say! So hard. But Sawyer had never been a flincher and she wouldn’t wilt now. Even if she had to take a deep breath and blush a little before admitting wrong doing. ”I didn’t under, yesterday, until it was too late, that you wanted me as your date.” Prayed now she wasn’t wrong twice over.

She’s sort the dress bit out somehow.

Maverick

Summer-sky to Opal
  • Prince

sea-loving playwright
    Little Kaeleer Terreille
    9 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
She was laughing at him! Veri saw the way it twinkled in the corner of her eyes. Made her smile just a little longer. Hidden but not quite well enough. The regret grew hotter in his stomach even though her smile echoed across his own lips. Rubbed away by rough knuckles that drifted up to graze the back of his neck after. ”I know, it’s a lot. They almost need their own bedroom...”

It was such a waste of time to file them away properly! As soon as he put them away he was sure to need them again.

At least the humor seemed to momentarily defuse her nervousness. His did the opposite as she shook her head. Why would she want tea? She had made her interest clear already. Stomach rolling before they dueled apologies at one another.

If it were a proper argument she would have won. He tripped over his own tangle of words. Didn’t behave badly? Or didn’t misread the situation? Eyes drawn to the fingers on his wrist he twisted his lips and let her talk. Listening now, even though he turned his face down to the point of contact. Most of his focus on the brush of warm skin. How could she have callouses and soft hands at the same time? Maverick peeked up through his lashes on occasion so she knew he wasn’t ignoring her.

Mother Night was he glad the portly old maid kept the cooling spells strong. The chill helping to keep away more of his foolishness. His thin pants certainly wouldn’t have helped hide any awkwardness that popped up between them.

”Yes.” His attention swept back up to her face. Smile stronger now that the whole thing made sense. Almost a laugh. It was like one of those scenes he wrote to make the audience connect with his characters. The sort that made you blush for them while they mucked everything up. ”Next time I ask  you out I’ll be more direct.”

Excited now he rocked on his heels once. ”Well. That is a relief to have cleared up." He admitted with a crooked grin. "Maybe you'll change your mind about staying for tea, too?” It was worth a shot. She probably needed time to get dressed, though. Some women took half a day to get all dolled up. He tried not to stare and lick his lips at the same time. If she was this pretty in her street clothes she might just steal the show in a nice gown.

Sawyer Devereaux

Tiger Eye to Summer-sky
  • witch

Little Kaeleer Terreille
    14 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 06:03:42 AM »

”Or their own apartment,” Sawyer half teased beneath her breath. Were they all this? How many pages did a player usually run? She tried to remember but couldn’t. Definitely their own bedroom though. Stacks on every surface. Where did he even sit? Surely they couldn’t all be his, not this many. Gingerly Sawyer pushed a pile all the way on to a table, their drooping corner looking as if it would drag them to the floor.

The scuffled, for a moment. Talking over each other. Dueling with apologies. Sawyer thought she had won, though. He quieted. Attention turning to the place she touched him. She almost stopped, the way he looked making her nervous again, but he didn’t say anything, and the silence allowed her to get her words out. Stumbling only when his attention turned from wrist to face. Eyes warm beneath his lashes.

Slowly he came all the way back to her face. Trying not to blush, Sawyer tucked her hands beneath her back, fingers playing over each other, as if the few might have been changed by the contact with him.

”Oh.” Next time. A nervous laugh escaped her, and Sawyer was horrified to hear the high pitched hint of giggle in it. Oh he really was going to think she was a fool if she went giggling at him like a star struck girl! Of course, he was bouncing, so maybe he wouldn’t. It made her smile, all that energy. ”It is. I felt so awful after you left.” Such casual, heartless rejection. Sawyer touched her cheek, which was warm beneath her fingertips.

”I would love to, but I’m a designed without a dress.” Her grin went a little crooked too. ”Next time the answer will be yes. This time I must go begging a dress for tonight.” Off the rack, but that was okay. Sawyer had a few friends who might be willing to help her. Make a few alterations to something they already had so it would unique for the show tonight. Fingers fussing at the curl behind her ear, Sawyer swayed toward the door. ”I’ll see you tonight.” A moment of hesitation at the threshold, a quick peek at his chest. Laughing at herself, Sawyer fled.

Ah. She really was an idiot. Giddy for tonight even though she knew the idea was a bad one. If this went south she was closing the door on so much potential for business. And yet. That smile was very hard to deny. As was that chest.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is taking the world that we all know and expanding it by combining the old lore with new lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

We have officially been open for one year! We are looking forward to the wonderful stories our members continue to create and welcoming any newcomers to the site.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

Summer - AW102

Please keep the season in mind while posting. The seasons will change on 01/19.

Recent Topics

Violent Delights by Rian
[Today at 04:37:47 AM]

At Midnight by Vrai
[Yesterday at 08:33:10 PM]

One More Shot [cw] by Briar
[September 24, 2018, 11:54:54 AM]

ding dong, the witch ain’t dead by Glorian
[September 23, 2018, 10:49:29 PM]

Thread Completion by Jenn
[September 23, 2018, 11:30:05 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

Betrayer
Priestess/Other | Open Jewels | Hayll
companion of Neha Rajani

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner
May 2018 Featured RPG