Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer
  • Played By: dergon

Glacia Kaeleer
    62 Posts    1034 marks
Etched memories
« on: October 05, 2018, 06:01:36 AM »

What had begun to fill up was now empty. Table and chairs gone. The crooked shelves that had held her pots and pans, vanished. The stove stood cold and empty. The crate of webs waiting still where Peregrine had dropped it. Most of the bedroom had been packed away as well. Just the bed remained, mattress pulled off and left in the corner, the blankets and pillows heaped into a pile at its center.

It wobbled. Wooden posts shuddering against the stone floor as Kirsi tried to work the footboard loose. She had put the bed together, but was discovering that taking it apart was going to be twice the job. Or impossible. Wood swollen from humidity until it filled every gap. Fitted together so tightly it would never come free again. She still tried. Grunting, clawing, and cursing.

The house had a stove. But it did not have a bed, and Kirsi did not want to purchase another. Not when she already had so many other things to buy, like a bed for Rias. Snarling, Kirsi shoved the frame away and stood up, arm wiping sweat from her face as she kicked the bedpost in frustration. Which did nothing but set her toes to throbbing. Promising the bed a slow and torturous death, Kirsi turned, and found him there, sneaky bastard that he was.

”Knocking!” She barked, more startled than upset. Half of her had been so sure he wouldn’t come back. At least not to see her, not alone. Even now, part of her wasn’t sure she’d wanted him to. Hurt by his rejection, and frightened of the reflection he’d seen in her eyes. And now this. Of course he’d returned to witness this. Lips thin, Kirsi wiped her face and finger combed her hair. ”Hello.” Kirsi managed, wondering if she had any food to feed him.

Probably not. Shoulders squaring, she prepared for the unpleasantness.

”Were you able to make your arrangements with Reric’s queen?” She asked politely. The thought of the city still filled her with dread. But Kirsi did not have to go there. And Rias didn’t either.

@Jones

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord
  • Played By: Jones

Traveling Kaeleer
    84 Posts    656 marks
Re: Etched memories
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »

There was a lot of building happening on the two acres Peregrine had secured. Heavily wooded it was not as remote as he would have liked. But it was close to his mother, who refused to leave her own small house. It was fun to watch Kite act like they had landed in heaven. The rascal had made himself a tree fort in the course of a week and Peregrine was pretty sure his brother planned to live there forever. He was enamored with the trees. Religating Peregrine to the grunt work of cutting down the ones he marked and turning them into beams and boards.

They had been hard at work for a few weeks but the results were quick between the two carpenters. It was bigger than Peregrine had imagined. But there had to be rooms enough for stray siblings and women that weren’t wives to all feel comfortable. In the end Kite convinced him no less than four would do. So they had gone with a second story. Once he had moved into it properly the place would feel like home, at least he hoped. For now Peregrine was strangely uncomfortable inside. Probably because the roof wasn’t finished. Maybe because it was as big as all the responsibilities he felt weighing on his heart suddenly. A house to make all the things he’d recklessly declared wanting a reality. Family. Children.

Sensing the dip in Peregrine’s mood Kite had ordered him away for the day. He wanted to work alone a while. Peregrine had promises to keep anyway. Food, every three days when he was in Glacia. And how to ride the Winds. Which he took this time, instead of his boat. Arriving to find his cave kitten making more noise than he thought such a small woman should be capable of.

Ankles and arms both crossed Peregrine leaned against the stone that pretended at being a wall. What was this woman getting up to now? Moving out, it seemed. He chewed the inside of his cheek. Silently watching until she noticed him. ”I did,” Peregrine defended. Back straightening he pushed off the wall to hover a bit closer to what Kirsi made pass as a bed. Brows ducking towards one another one corner of his mouth twisted. ”Probably couldn’t hear me with all the clatter you’re making. What the hell are you trying to do with this old thing?”

Answering her more genial greeting with a grin Peregrine chuckled, ”Hey.” Apparently it was a bad time. But he wasn’t sorry for showing up. The chit would have gone into… wherever she was taking all her things. Then how would he have found her without prying? Maybe she would have left a note or something. Who knows. Peregrine wouldn’t put disappearing passed her, though. Not after the way they always seemed to grate on one another when they were together.

”Yea. I was.” His eyes rolled and his shoulders slumped. That was all the elaboration he offered. He was much more interested in the bed. Hands reading the wood to judge if there was any point in trying to salvage the thing. Kite had made better pieces in his sleep. And Peregrine wasn’t half bad when he put his mind to it. ”You’ve found someplace too I’m guessing?” Unless she wanted to come with him, which he could accommodate. There could be two houses. He had bought land enough for it.

Prowling around the bed frame he wiggled the headboard. Listening as much as watching the way the joints groaned at his rough handling. When he stood back up he pointed at it and shot her a sympathetic smile, ”You know this thing is going to fall apart if you take it down the mountain, right? Once the wood starts to dry out it’ll be all warped and start to split.” His hands moved towards his pockets. ”I know a couple of decent carpenters if you need. You can even have the family discount.” Since she was his child’s mother and all.

Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    62 Posts    1034 marks
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »

She huffed, not sure if she believed him or not. It didn’t matter though, not really. There was nothing she could do to stop him from coming in if in was where he wanted to be. And Peregrine was right, Kirsi wouldn’t have heard over herself. But a quick thread could have warned her he was there.

”Take it apart.” She arched an eyebrow at him. Wasn’t it obvious? Kirsi glared at the bed frame, the wood unloved and uncared for once she’d brought it home. Dark now with dust and damp. Peregrine chuckled, and Kirsi tucked a smile between her teeth so he would not have. Hey. Fah. Busying herself, Kirsi set about folding her blankets. Better than standing there with her poor bed frame between them.

”I bought a house in Meols.” Kirsi looked over her shoulder to judge his reaction, and found him caressing her bed frame. She made a soft sound in her throat, something like distressed amusement, before sputtering at him. ”What are you doing? Stop that.” It was obscene. And weird. He didn’t, of course. Instead of listening, Peregrine shook the headboard as if she would rattle it loose.

Giving up, Kirsi tossed the blanket down in the mattress and stalked over, hands waving at him. ”Stop that!” He was going to break it! Ah! She hated that look he was giving her. Kirsi’s shoulder rolled up her neck and down again.

”It’s fine. I just need it in pieces to fit in my cabinet. I did it before.” When it had been new and gleaming. The wood had been a pretty, almost red. Rough, but that had made it cheap. Not that the color or smoothness of the boards had mattered once she got it home. Kirsi sighed. ”No thank you.” She would buy a new one on Meols. Until then she could sleep on the mattress in the floor. She didn’t need to be beholden to Peregrine anymore than she was.

”What is the plan for today?” She asked, not wanting to dwell on family discounts or beds with Peregrine around. She was tired of this limbo they were stuck in. Nothing was getting accomplished but the setting up for a child that still hadn’t been found. At least in Kirsi’s case. Peregrine knew where his other babe was. Still growing in its mother’s womb, Kirsi guessed. Her hand drifted to her own stomach. Hollow and scarred.

She would get no second chances.

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord

Traveling Kaeleer
    84 Posts    656 marks
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »

A house in Meols. Peregrine would be lying if he said it didn’t bother him. The idea of his son growing up in a different city. Having to visit him instead of knowing he was home, in the home his father had built. But the boy was already being raised in a different city- a different territory. Perhaps even a different realm. And as long as he was cared for there was no reason to make it a thing.

He could barely get along with Kirsi on the best of days. Saying nothing he just scowled at the wood as if the bed frame had insulted him somehow. Warming a section with craft to guess at how badly it would warp when it was completely dry. Voice oddly strained Kirsi fussed, he just shot her a raised eyebrow. Ridiculous woman. ”Just looking.”

Maybe she had forgotten that he was a woodcrafter by trade. Most people tended to forget once they knew he was delivering more than finely made furniture across the realms. When he tested the bed’s integrity further she came over to flap him away. He sighed before sharing his assessment.

”Well I wouldn’t recommend pulling it apart. I could bring it for you, I’ve room to take the whole thing.” He could have taken all her furniture at once probably. Not much in his cabinet other than spare clothes and a few tools. Odds and ends any intelligent Glacian would carry.

Licking his lips he frowned at her quick dismissal of his offer. ”Fine then. You can take up a price with Kite if you change your mind.” She wasn’t going to let him help her with anything other than bringing Rias home. It made sense. Like any tool Peregrine was only good for certain things. Generosity, apparently, was not one of them.

”Well,” He shrugged his feelings aside. Shoulders working to ease the tension across his back. ”I didn’t expect to find you busy. Wind riding was my plan. Or teaching you to do it, as we agreed. But since you’re doing this, and so stubbornly adverse to me giving you a hand, I guess I’ll just ask if you’ve any new webs then get out of your way.”

Tongue resting on his bottom lip he waited for her answer. Hands shifting from pockets to cross over his chest again. This time he leaned all his weight onto one leg instead of to the wall. It was fine. Living in the city she could ask someone she liked better to teach her how. And he could go get a haircut. Maybe a lay too. There were some wild Red Moon houses in the tourist district.

"Oh," He had forgotten about the basket of food he had put together. A sack of rice, caribou jerky, and other pantry goods. Calling it in he laid it on the bed next to her blanket pile. "Spare you a market day with this."

Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    62 Posts    1034 marks
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »

Kirsi frowned at the bed, mouth and eyebrows creasing as if it had betrayed her. It had, in a sense, not holding up the way she needed it to. Frustration rushed past her lips as Kirsi pressed the heels of her hands to her eyes and down her cheeks. Moving was overwhelming. Worse was the people who came and lingered by her new fence when she was shifting things into the house.

Staring. Trying to talk to her.

”Guess I’ll put the bedding back on then.” She could let Peregrine carry the bed. And the crate of webs. She couldn’t fit the crate into her cabinet at all. It wasn’t the size so much as the weight. Or maybe it was all the bitter hope inside. ”Thank you.” More marks for Rias’ room. And she would need a third chair for the table.

Maybe. Kirsi glanced at Peregrine. He never seemed keen to stay anymore.

”Fine.” Jaw set and stubborn. She’d deal with his brother if she changed her mind. Kirsi knew she wouldn’t. Not for herself. Maybe for Rias. He might like furniture made by his uncle. Would he? Could he? Nails biting her palms, she stuffed such nonsense thoughts deep down. Daydreams would only bring heart ache.

Hope was bitter ash. Kirsi would have carved her heart out if she could. Face curiously blank as she fled her own emotions. She nodded like a stupid animal, and then shook her head.

”I haven’t, actually.” Too busy? Too lost? Kirsi stared at blank frames and felt nothing. No itch in her fingers or twitch in her soul. She laid awake at night and wondered if they were too late. If all they would find were bones tucked away somewhere, same as she’d left her husband. ”I’m sorry.” He’d go now. Too frustrated with her to teach what he’d promised to share. And maybe he wouldn’t come back now that her webs were silent.

”Yes. I guess it will. Won’t the neighbors be disappointed.” She touched his arm to keep him from going just yet. Her other palm extended. Gleaming disk filling it. Memory etched in crystal. ”I got this for you. Since you missed it.” Missed him. Kirsi looked at the basket of food and not at what she offered Peregrine. A glimpse of their son.

Small, small just as she’d said. Nestled in the crook of her arm, eyes closed in sleep. Dark, wispy hair like fluff on his head. Five tiny fingers curled into a fist over her breast. His nose like a button, his ears curling outward and faintly pointed. Kirsi didn’t have to look to know exactly what was there. His face was etched on her soul.

”I can’t remember what color his eyes were, other than infant blue.” She hated the tear that escaped down her cheek more than she hated anything else but the distance that separated her from her son. It burned. Breath shuddering. Her memory from just before he’d vanished fuzzy. Pieces of it missing.

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord

Traveling Kaeleer
    84 Posts    656 marks
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 11:39:00 PM »

”Haven’t?” He repeated dumbly. That got his attention. Turning it from the bed to the woman. A whisper soft probe licking over her for any signs of… he didn’t know. Signs of anything! What could possibly make her stop weaving? It made his mind flash back to the mad way she had spun a web the first time they had reconnected. Stuffing her face just to expend the bit of energy the food gave.

Probe turning up nothing out of the ordinary Peregrine studied her figure. She was still filling out. There was muscle of her the hard bones along her shoulders now. But the skin under her eyes was sallow and slightly sunken. As if she didn’t sleep well, or at all. ”Don’t be sorry. I’m sure you would know… if there was a reason to weave. We have a lot of clues already.” He didn’t want her to feel guilty. Not completely guilty.

But he couldn’t keep from thinking her refusal to reach out for help was part of why they were in the situation. And as always he reminded himself that it was too late to change things now. He could have reached out as easily as Kirsi might have. More easily, since her husband wouldn’t have been able to stop him.

”Ah, the joys of city living.” Peregrine teased. For a moment he stood awkwardly. Not sure what to do while she prepared the bed for his cabinet. Her hand rooted him more comfortably in place. Eyebrows lifting in surprise as she held out a memory crystal. He knew what they were from seeing them sold in street stalls. And from transporting a few empty cases of them a time or two. But he had never used one.

Had never had a need. ”Oh,” He didn’t know how to accept the gift graciously. Fingers plucking it from her palm he held it up towards the light filtering in from the cave entrance. ”I just… how do I see?” While asking aloud he plied the surface with a probe. Then before she could answer he figured it out. Mental picture filling his mind’s eye.

Peregrine felt wounded. A short groan slipping out as he palmed his chest. The place that hurt. Impossibly small, peaceful in sleep. Rias as a sweet faced babe swimming behind his eyes. The pain in his chest felt like a solid thing rather than an emotion. Hard like a rock. Heat radiating up in waves that shot towards the backs of his eyes.

”Doesn’t matter.” He managed to choke out. Turning away with the crystal digging into his palm until it bled. The last thing he needed was to break down in front of Kirsi. She was one excuse away from shoving him off already. Peregrine didn’t know what to say. What to feel.

Seeing his son was… so real. Made the lose sharper. Panting down the threat of tears, or trying to, Peregrine called in a thing piece of twine. A few quick, blood stained knots had the crystal secure. He hung it on the chain that held his Ebon-gray. ”Thanks, for this.” He didn’t turn around. Not quite done emoting to face Kirsi. But he took a deep breath so he could add, ”And don’t worry. We’ll know soon. What color his eyes are.”

Soon.

For now there was a bed in need of relocating. And pushing through the emotion was just what Peregrine did. Agony shrugged off, folded down into something more manageable. Distracting himself with work so he could forget that he had troubles. ”Anything else you need me to haul over?” They could take the Wind down to Meols. ”I’ll carry you on the Wind, so you can focus on spotting the landing web. That’s the most important part. Knowing when and where its safe to drop.”

Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    62 Posts    1034 marks
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:11:25 AM »

”But not enough.” They still didn’t know where Rias was. The room meant for him was empty. Would remain that way until they did. Sometimes she dreamed of it remaining that way forever. Filled and emptied again for each stage of his life, but never actually housing a boy. Her boy. Probe slinking along her barriers like a thief in the night. He was careful, delicate, but Kirsi felt it. So many years of closing up tight made her aware.

She let him taste the hollowness. It was like a false calm. Ice-still lake surface hiding a maelstrom. Wondered what he thought. He never said, except to point out her raving, or the ways she’d wronged him. Reminding her that she was unfit for what was to come.

”Joys.” Strange how much she hated those she felt drawn to help. Mostly it was in the way they stared, or the questions they asked. Digging and digging as they looked and judged. She was careful. So very careful to give no more than she had to. Which was why going to the artist had been so hard. A stranger! A stranger let into her most precious memories. Deep behind her barriers so the moment could be captured for Peregrine.

Peregrine who plucked it from her hand with hardly a word. Turning it as she tried not to come apart. The sound he made an echo of one she felt deep inside. Yes. It hurt to look at him. Kirsi had spent years trying not to remember while fighting not to forget. Because looking hurt. Remembering the way he’d rooted at her breast or clung to her finger. Mouth learning how to work a smile or form a laugh. Kirsi yanked at the blankets as Peregrine turn away. Shook them out as he dismissed it.

Didn’t matter. Rias, or her memory of him? If she forgot, could she still find him in her webs? Was he there, hidden in the pieces she had lost? Seeping from cracks in her skull. She touched the shallow chip in her jaw as she wiped her tear away. Knew what she would see if she took off her cuffs and stood before a mirror. What she would feel if she ran her fingers through the hair behind her ear.

”You’re welcome.” She shivered, breathing shaky. Soon. Kirsi wanted to believe him so very badly. To put all her faith in Peregrine’s Jewels. In his flying ship and Gate access. But hope hurt worse than the memories did. Made every nightmare sharper and night longer.

”The crate. But I don’t trust it in my house with all these nosy people.” Kirsi fussed at the bedding, giving them both time to recover. And then she turned her fussing on Peregrine. ”Give me that.” She held her hand our for his, soft cloth called in. ”I remember. And its dangerous to show up at places without one, like showing up uninvited.” She turned a sardonic eyebrow his direction before smoothing the damp cotton over his wounds.

Her craft followed afterward. Gentle as it sealed what he’d broken open. Knitting the top layers of his skin together. A thing so simple and the cuts so shallow she only needed her Opal to manage it.

”Can they be stored at your house? Or even on your ship? The webs, I mean.” It could be left in her house if he sealed with his Ebon-gray. But that wouldn’t stem any questions from being asked, and might only invite more. What did matter where she had come from or who her people were? It should have been enough that she was there and willing to share her craft with their sick. All she wanted was a proper house and a garden for her boy to play in. That was all.

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord

Traveling Kaeleer
    84 Posts    656 marks
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »

One day Peregrine was going to touch those round cheeks. Rumple that fluff of hair until Rias complained. Hear his boy call him daddy and teach him to turn wood into practical things.

Soon.

Even with the crystal saved away he could see the image in the back of his mind. Looking had seared the picture to the inside of his eyelids. There had never been any doubt in his heart of finding Rias, eventually. They would do whatever it took. Having someone else’s memory to reflect on only made him itch for another clue. It was frustrating that Kirsi had none to offer.

Peregrine would teach her to take the Winds. Then she could do as she pleased. Come with him or search on her own. He would go to Little Terreille and ask around the dark gate. Someone had to have seen the men before. If not then Peregrine would pay one of the lutrani to watch for them when they came again.

”Put it in a bedroom, or the crawl space if it's not too small. Nosy or not they shouldn’t be roaming your house.” He thought Kirsi had a skewed idea of how her personal property and space should be treated. Maybe he would have to keep a close eye. Make sure no one was taking advantage.

Maybe if they found Rias soon he could stay there with them a while. Make sure everyone was adjusted before he disrupted things with a second child. Another family. Through the weight of his thoughts he held his hand out for Kirsi’s inspection.

A shallow scratch pooling into rivers that filled the lines on his palm. Her words weren’t outwardly pointed but he caught the look on her face and it sobered him. Maybe staying with them wouldn’t be an option. Kiris had years of missing Rias. She didn’t seem to want Peregrine around most of the time. He was just a tool to get back what she’d lost. Would she forget he had a role to perform once they had their son? ”Very dangerous. Even with practice dropping out off the Winds without a marker is a huge risk.”

Peregrine did it from time to time. He had the shields to get away with such behavior, though. ”And you can tuck that sassy eyebrow away, kitten. If I waited for invitations from you then I wouldn’t know I had a son to search for. And you’d have starved to death.”

Or done Mother Night knows what to stay alive. It wasn’t even that he blamed her. People didn’t tend to get excited when Peregrine showed up. Invited, expected, or turning up as a surprise. He turned his mind to watching her craft rather than debating his own qualities. Split skin binding shut without any hint that they had existed.

”Sure. I can take them I guess.” There would be plenty of space in his empty house. For a while at least. ”I weave a pretty good sight shield if you rather keep them close, though.” He offered. If she let him have the webs he could take them to another widow. A second opinion might make all the difference. Someone with a little objectivity. Removed from the emotion the webs caused for Kirsi.

From where they stood he cabineted the crate of webs. She could make up her mind later. There was time. He leaned his shins against the crossboard on the bed. It creaked a bit but didn’t give. ”I could see about bracing the bed frame. Might get another year or so out of it that way.” He might have nails the right length in his cabinet. Otherwise a bit of binding spell could work until his next visit.

If there was one. ”Here, I’ll take this and then you can show me your new place.” Sweeping his hair backward he slipped the bedframe, mattress, blankets, and all, into his cabinet. ”Anything else?”

When she was ready he gave her a moment alone in the cave. Wandering out into the powdering of snow that always lingered on mountainsides regardless of the season. So thin this far from the peak that his boots melted it into the ground instead of making footprints. Kiris finished with her memories or whatever. Joining him in the crisp air. ”I’ll use the Red. It’s faster, but it’s more stable than the lighter Winds.”

There was a time when the opposite was true, or so the stories said. Peregrine knew a few long lived people that had lived through the Winds collapse. He had always used the Sapphire unless he was on the run. Then there was no beating his Ebon-gray. ”Come here. And shield yourself. I’ll have mine up too, but practice makes perfect or some shit.”

Arm open for her to sidle up against him Peregrine closed his eyes and opened a thread. Spear to distaff. A link to his psyche so she could see the way he reached for the Wind. Let it tug his Craft and catch them into it. A raging howl striking up around them as they traveled the lay-lines. Meols and her landing web a bright point in the distance, until it was under them instead. "Then its just a matter of catching it." He whispered in her ear. Swinging them down from the Winds to the web with a bone jarring stop.

Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    62 Posts    1034 marks
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 07:56:15 PM »

”I don’t know if it has a crawl space.” She spoke softly as she cleaned his wound. Trying to keep all of her attention in one place. On his hand. Not his nearness, or the comforting breadth of his chest. Not her own loneliness or the ache in her heart. Just the wiping away of Peregrine’s blood and the sealing of his flesh. ”Rooms too small for the bed and the crate.” Kirsi rocked on her feet.

She hadn’t looked or asked about a crawl space. Kirsi had wanted just a couple of things. Two rooms and a little space, without too many neighbors. She’d gotten all of them. Except all her neighbors were nosy.

”I-“ She froze, inside and out. The urge to defend herself smothered by the reminder to shut up. ”Always use a landing web.” She repeated, finishing her craft work. Kirsi bit her tongue and let go of his hand, rag vanished, blood and all, into her cabinet. ”All better.” Wiping her hands clean on her skirts, Kirsi edged away from him.

”Whatever you want to do, Peregrine.” She was sick of looking at them. Hundreds of webs that lead no where. No son for her to hold. Just hints and teasing. ”Guess we can see if there is a crawl space before we decide.” All that useless weight. Hope. Bitter, bitter hope. Peregrine was harassing her bed again. Sliding her arms over her chest, Kirsi held herself tight, squeezing all her fraying pieces back in.

”Alright. Thank you.” She could do this, she promised herself, trying to breathe. Trying not to cry. She could live with people talking to her every time she stepped outside. Without her isbyr to keep strangers away. With her son, or at least the room she’d bought for him. With Peregrine coming and going and never forgiving her. That would be easy. Kirsi would never forgive herself either.

She laughed, just a hint of hysteria in the sound, as the whole bed vanished. She could fit it in pieces, alone. And here he had tucked it all away as neat as a nothing. Kirsi shook her head. Nothing else. Nothing else, and he was gone, leaving her alone with the emptiness. Outside reflecting inside. Crouching down in the center of the room, Kirsi stuck her head between her knees and covered it with her arms.

A light shield, just enough to keep the sound from carrying without the craft drawing attention. Rocking, Kirsi moaned. Let it out before it ate her up on the inside. There was so little of her left. Is she allowed the rest to be consumed and lost, she would have nothing. Be nothing. And who would give a child to someone like that?

Tears wept, Kirsi washed her face clean in the spring and joined Peregrine outside. The air cool and crisp. Sky the sort of blue you could only imagine, hardly a cloud to mar it. Hugging herself, she shivered and breathed it all in. One last look at the wild place that had been her home for so long. ”Alright.” She kissed it goodbye with a sigh before stepping under Peregrine’s arm, hands clutching at his jacket.

Kirsi raised a shield and opened her barriers to Peregrine’s link. Took the opening he provided to press her face into his chest and cling. Warm, strong, safe. She followed his craft, mind curious and hungry for knowledge. Kirsi devoured it. Inner eye keen to see how it worked. How to fit herself into a Wind and ride it from mountain to Meols. The landing web she’d constructed singing to her with her own power.

The landing was harder, distracted by Peregrine just before he dropped them. Kirsi held tighter and darkened her shields. It hurt. Vibrating up her legs and knocking the breath from her lungs. Kirsi panted against his chest, arms circling him as she tried to stop the sensation of striking ground from rattling her teeth.

”That was a dirty trick,” she gasped into his jack, yanking at his collar. Sweeping her hair back, Kirsi let him go and staggered away, turning to look at her house. Rough fence hemming in the yard. Small garden along the side and plenty of room for him to play around the landing web. It was blue with bright white trim and shutters. She breathed this in too, and reached for him. ”Come on, we can see about that crawl space.”

It was tidy and bare inside. The table set up in the small dining room. Stove and kitchen counters. A little cold box tucked under a shelf. The rafters were exposed beams with a loft space above the bedrooms. Kirsi looked up at it. ”Maybe there.” A good place to hide all her ghosts.

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord

Traveling Kaeleer
    84 Posts    656 marks
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »

Between the thread and his Ebon-gray it didn’t matter how hard Peregrine tried not to notice. He just did. It rolled along the edges of his conscious. Like shadows in the corner of your vision. She clung to him, silently comforting herself against his body. Unsettling only because it was so unexpected. He focused instead on the craft. Because she clung to that too. Tracing it up and down. Looking for every subtle nuance in the technique he used.

Every shift and bump observed until he was left feeling exposed too. Working hard to regulate their momentum and his shields so that the trip was both short and informative- without giving her too much reason to judge his skill.

The minute her landing web was in reach he dropped them to it. Harder than he intended. Not neat or tidy. Knees flinching he groaned. Bracing his legs with a wide stance he rubbed her spine as she used him for support until she could catch her balance. The yank on his collar nearly set him off kilter, but he just leaned in on her with a hand at her shoulder. ”It wasn’t a trick!” He protested, ”Just an unplanned example of how not to land.”

By then she had pulled away. Taking with her the chance to ask about the fears he’d felt prickling along his conscious. Why did she need to feel secure and safe? What did she have to be afraid of? The questions were too heavy on his tongue once she stepped off the web and into the yard. A nice, green patch in a quieter corner of the city. Unkempt, but a little attention would have it right as rain.

”Sure.” He looked up at the small house. Someone had given it a fresh coat of paint. The roof shingles were thick slates that all seemed firmly in place. Satisfied with the outside he followed her towards the front door. Please find the inside was just as well tended.

Bare wood called his eyes up. Gaze lingering on the polished grains before he followed her attention to the empty space tucked up over the bedrooms. ”I can set a shield over the whole thing. It’ll need renewing though. Hell, you could probably do it. Doubt you’ll have any customers or guests that could see through one of your illusion webs.” Peregrine hadn’t been able to see through the one over her cave entrance. But he had been able to feel the empty spot behind it.

”Here, I’ll tuck it to the back, and if you don’t like it there I’ll come back and get it. Just keep the bedroom door closed and if anyone does ever notice it say the bed frame was shipped over in it.” He was good at making up stories. Good at passing fiction as truth. Maybe Kirsi wasn’t as good. Or maybe she was better. Neither option seemed appealing. ”Show me where this bed is going and I’ll stick a few rods through the posts to make it last a while longer.”

He touched the wall as he passed. Smelled the light layer of dust that being empty had left in the hard to reach places. ”It’s a good house, Kirsi.” She would feel better living in it. There would be other people to make sure she ate. To hold her accountable for her own health. Mental as much as physical. He decided then that he would swing by another day to introduce himself to a few neighbors. Make sure they had someone to reach out to if she wasn’t well.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open for over a year, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

Summer - AW102

The seasons will change on 01/19.

Recent Topics

the queen of friendship by Nyree
[Yesterday at 10:34:23 PM]

Spies by Kirsi
[Yesterday at 05:15:21 PM]

secrets of fields and ponds by Neha Rajani
[Yesterday at 08:10:09 AM]

Pray for the Wicked by Yash Mishra
[October 19, 2018, 04:03:57 PM]

Tantrums [CW] by Catriona Blackthorn
[October 19, 2018, 09:04:07 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

Lane
Priestess | SS to Green | Traveling Terrielle
Ringmaster of Legarde Family Circus

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner
May 2018 Featured RPG