White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch
  • Played By: Bismark

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
Re: The Best (Worst) Ideas [CW]
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2019, 09:54:43 PM »
“Oh my word…” She said with a somewhat exasperated laugh. “I’m making jam tomorrow, when the little ones bring me more fruit.” Irja told him -- because despite having so many other things to do, she preferred making the jam herself over buying someone else’. It was part of the magic of the danishes.
“Then I can make them again.” She added to put his mind at ease. If she was still feeling generous in the morning she might make some with the almond and walnut spice, but she still didn’t feel the need to tell him or promise anything. Maybe if he was still in that kicked puppy mode she’d found him in, but alas…!

“You’re incorrigible.” she said, but there wasn’t much sting to the accusation. Like a dog with a bone, really ,which is what had gotten him into this Ares mess to begin with.

Irja shook her head as she turned to start the clean up, putting stuff away and running water in the pan to clean it later.
“Of course you were.” She humored him. “But there are still easier ways to get my attention than through Ares.” She reiterated. “Most people just make an appointment.”

Tobias Marasfield

Summer-sky to Green
  • Prince
  • Played By: Raissa

Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2019, 10:02:34 PM »
”I’ll stop by to help,” he said, more cheerfully. ”Someone has to be here to make sure everything tastes good.” Like he was a child instead of a grown man. But it was familiar, and she was familiar, and this was familiar — so he took comfort from that. With how much he loved them, he probably should’ve tried to learn how to make them himself, but he didn’t have the patience for that — besides, his skills with baking weren’t nearly up to par.

”It’s one of the reasons you like me,” Tobias countered. ”You think it’s cute.” She probably didn’t, but he wasn’t going to admit that. He’d rather tell himself she liked it and wanted him to be around, because of course she did. Otherwise, she wouldn’t have been so… pleasant to him. If pleasant was the right word, anyway.

He ate in silence for a moment, not wanting to get caught out in his lie but knowing she hadn’t been fooled. ”I wasn’t trying to get your attention,” he grumbled. ”I know how to do that.” Though this was different than usual, even though he couldn’t quite put his finger on why. "I was just curious."

Irja Bucksbrook

White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2019, 10:21:56 PM »
Irja drew in a slow breath as things normalized more, and Tobias was already planning to infiltrate her non-work time and space, likely without realizing he was doing it. Like a child instead of a grown man, completely oblivious to the amount of energy he took up on a day-to-day basis. And that was without counting Ares’ influence.

“That’s what the little ones are there for. You’ll have to beat their expertise.” She pointed out, a little dry, because it wasn’t like the kids that had more or less washed up to the Red Star one day didn’t do a fine job of helping her fine tune her jam recipe.

Her lips quirked briefly into a smirk, because if anything, the fact that he was incorrigible was the one hardest to handle and deal with. His appetite, his need for this domestic sort of thing in his day to day live, it was all something that didn’t typically disrupt the flow of her day too much. His incorrigibility on the other hand… was what had led him to Ares despite her saying it wasn’t a good fit for his sexual appetite, and what was now taking up her time. Time she should’ve spent working.

Thankfully it had happened on a weeknight, and not the weekend where she really would’ve been too busy and the Red Star too crowded to deal with this kind of crisis.

“I know you were, sweetie,” she said with a small but warm smile. And if ever there was a time to bust out the ‘I told you so’ now was it. She hoped he appreciated how hard it was to keep it to herself.
“You are incorrigible after all,” She added, still smiling as she closed the door of the cold box after putting away the eggs last. “And I’m also sure they were marks well spent to satisfy that curiosity, you just needed a little after care to shift the world back into focus.” She added with a shrug, as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

And it was. Just not normally at her kitchen table with a man whose reputation was less than savory.

Tobias Marasfield

Summer-sky to Green
  • Prince

Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2019, 10:29:28 PM »
”Little ones will be helping you?” Tobias blanched, shaking his head. He wouldn’t be caught dead near children. ”Are they allowed in here?” he asked, frowning. Classy as the place was, it was still a brothel… but Irja wouldn’t like the insinuation that it was anything beyond above board. He raised a hand before she could speak. ”Sorry. That was rude. I’d just think kids would get in the way.”

That was what kids did, after all.

She called him sweetie, and he made a face. That wasn’t the type of term of endearment he wanted to hear from her. Then again, he didn’t think he’d expected anything like that from her… but he didn’t want anything that was so blatantly condescending, either. ”Yes,” he said stubbornly. ”They were. I learned my lesson, thank you, and now I’ll stay away from the asshole Warlord Prince who knows how to use his hands entirely too well.”

He hadn’t had to say the last part, and he made a frustrated sound.

The mention of after care was what caught his attention though. He remembered Marcella saying something about that after he’d spent the night with her, but he didn’t really know what she’d meant. He just knew that she’d been there to pamper him after…

Oh.

Irja Bucksbrook

White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2019, 10:52:11 PM »
She wasn’t sure why he was so surprised, and she raised an eyebrow at him.
“Of course they’re allowed in here, they do chores for me around the house.” She said. Most of them were barely more than street rats, and they knew to come to the Red Star for small jobs in exchange for honest marks. It was better than having them grow up to be thieves and pickpockets, Irje felt, and she hadn’t been off much different when she’d started working at a brothel.

The Red Star might be a fine establishment, it still wasn’t exactly a prime career choice. More or less people stumbled into this line of work, and stuck with it. Especially the ones who were good at it. Irja had no illusions about where some of the little urchins she now had helping her with laundry would eventually end up. She’d rather it be with her in the Star than in some of the less reputable establishments.

She didn’t want to dare think of how some of the young girls’ virgin nights could get bartered…

Irja drew in a breath and shrugged.
“No reason to stay away now as far as I’m concerned.” She said dryly. “Clearly you two managed to get along for the better part of two hours.” She reminded him. “I’m not worried anymore. You both know what you’re in for now.” It was as simple as that. Now that she was sure that Tobias knew what he was getting himself into and he wouldn’t do anything stupid like demand to know if Ares was man or woman, or call him a freak, or worse…

“He is incredibly good with those hands.” She agreed with a deep, sigh. "It's totally unfair."

Tobias Marasfield

Summer-sky to Green
  • Prince

Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2019, 10:59:40 PM »
But why would anyone want children around? He assumed they weren’t around during business hours, but even so. He might have to start watching his visits a little better if he might run into a bunch of brats one day. Nope, he’d walk right in and right back out if it came down to that. He wasn’t going to play babysitter.

There was even more reason to stay away now. Tobias had doubted himself, and that simply wasn’t acceptable. Oh, he wanted to explore more, but he’d be left in that place again. He knew it. And he wouldn’t let Irja patch him up a second time. His pride would never allow it. Even this was a bit much for him, and he was going to have to work hard to overcome it. She shouldn’t have seen him this weak.

”We’ll see,” he said vaguely. But he had no intention of making another appointment.

He paused, though, last forkful of food almost to his mouth, when she spoke. ”He’s had those hands on you?” he asked, startled. He’d never figured out just where Irja stood with the people she employed, but he hadn’t thought she’d dally with them. Especially not… well, Ares.

Irja Bucksbrook

White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
She wasn’t going to push him. It would be just as well if he and Ares just parted ways. Ares wasn’t hurting for clients, and Tobias was even more high maintenance than Ares was himself. She didn’t say any of that, just offered Tobias a smile as she finished scrubbing the skillet clean. She grabbed a cloth to dry it, leaning back against the counter as she did.

“Of course.” She said with a shrug. Irja knew well enough where Tobias’ mind was going, and she looked at him, daring him to ask, or draw the conclusion.
“Ares and I go way back to before the Red Star even existed. I’ve needed many massages and neck rubs over the years.” She explained plainly. “Why would I pay someone to do that, when Ares is usually happy to do it.”

They were friends, Ares was usually accommodating enough for his friend. Usually.

Tobias Marasfield

Summer-sky to Green
  • Prince

Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2019, 11:27:13 PM »
Tobias finished eating and got up, waiting for her to finish with the skillet before he cleaned his own plate and fork and held his hand out for the cloth so he could dry it. He flashed her an impish grin, knowing how impressed she was by him cleaning up his own messes — which wasn’t impressed at all.

He couldn’t really imagine Irja getting one of those bone-melting massages. She was always in control of herself, and the idea that she might actually trust someone enough to relax like that seemed odd.

Then again, so did the idea that he might’ve trusted Ares enough to relax. Fuck. But he doubted Irja’s sessions had had a happy ending… He wanted to know, but he wasn’t going to ask — at least not right now. He was too curious to leave it alone forever, but he still wasn’t in his proper mindset. There was no sense in trying now and being rebuffed too thoroughly.

”I tried telling him he could be paid just for that,” Tobias commented. ”He didn’t seem to agree.”

Irja Bucksbrook

White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
She watched him -- perhaps a little judgmental, but without comment -- as he washed the plate, cup and cutlery he’d used. She didn’t comment though, she didn’t want to discourage him from cleaning up his own mess. She handed him over the drying cloth wordlessly as he silently asked for it.

She smirked a little at his words and shook her head, leaning back against the counter.
“I’m sure he took that well.” She said dryly, knowing exactly where Ares’ mind would’ve gone. The warlord prince hated clients who chickened out at the last second, and that sounded exactly like it. It explained a little more the mindfuck Tobias had received. It had been a principle matter then.
She didn’t say all of that to Tobias, that was Ares’ own damage, and she couldn’t begrudge him that, even if it wasn’t always great towards the clients.

“Just like you like your job, most red moon workers also like their job.” She reminded him with a single-shouldered shrug -- such was the case at the Red Star anyway. She didn’t particularly care to keep workers who did it out of desperation, or because they had no other choice. It affected the quality of the work.
“Ares is good at his job, why would he want to start a massage parlor?” She asked, tilting his head to the side and regarding Tobias as she let the words sink in -- because as usual, it seemed the Prince for all his more-or-less good intentions failed to see the edge of offensiveness in his words.

“Did you also tell him you were just curious?” She asked dryly, because that was a rookie mistake too.

Tobias Marasfield

Summer-sky to Green
  • Prince

Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »
”He didn’t take it badly,” he defended himself, though in retrospect… His brain had been too melted to understand that Ares had probably been annoyed or maybe even insulted over a well-meaning comment. The guy was prickly as fuck, and it was no shocker that it might not have gone over well. ”Hey, I’m the client here,” he said. ”I’m allowed to say stupid things sometimes. My clients sure as fuck do it.”

He hadn’t thought Ares didn’t like his job. He’d just thought he’d been giving a fucking compliment. ”I was trying to compliment him,” he muttered as he stalked back to the table, though he didn’t sit down. ”But you can’t do that with him either.” So maybe none of that night had gone like he’d expected, and maybe he was a little sullen about it.

He sighed, leaning back against the wall by the table. ”I didn’t say he [ii]should[/i]. I just asked if anyone pays him just for his massages. It was a harmless question, Irja,” he said, his voice getting a little sharp. He was on edge again, prickly and starting to radiate agitation. ”I won’t talk to him anymore. I won’t recommend him, either,” he said a bit cruelly, ”but I won’t talk bad about him or the Star. I’d never do that to you.” But his endorsement also meant a lot, too.

Irja Bucksbrook

White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »
“You are, and you can.” Irja agreed with a small grin. “But you can’t blame a girl for hoping that one day the strong dangerous men she hires to protect her little brothel will have a little insight and sensitivity when talking to her workers, hm?” She asked, her voice neutral, devoid of judgment, because it wasn’t like Ares was easy to deal with on any given day either.

Not to mention she had the same high hopes for the warlord prince. Though Ares could turn it on and off as he pleased, he just didn’t always want to be diplomatic and understanding and sensitive.

She snorted and shrugged.
“Of course you can complement him. Just get used to the idea that he’s heard it all already and that he knows…” Complements just didn’t work so well on confident people like Ares. People like Ares, who were quite secure in who they were also understood their strengths and short-comings, so either the complements were just facts, or they were bullshit white lies.

“I’m not saying you’re wrong Tobias,” She added, when he continued to overthink the situation. By a lot. “He could well make a living off of his massages, and he knows it. He just doesn’t want to. Which is good for me and my business.” Irja watched him and let out a slow breath.

Of course she didn’t think he woudl trash talk either her business or Ares. He enjoyed himself far too much with them. But now that he’d had a more confusing and less overwhelmingly positive experience for once, it suddenly was a thing. And it was tiring. He was tiring, because he believed that somehow this mercurial opinion of his was meaningful and life changing, when it really wouldn’t make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

The Red Star had been around long before Tobias came on to the scene, after all. 

“Don’t be like that,” She admonished him gently. “You’re still overthinking this.” She added. “You had a good time, and when I spoke to Ares, he was positive about your session too.” She said, giving him a look.
“Why make this more complicated than it needs to be, hm?”

He even got a free meal out of it.

Tobias Marasfield

Summer-sky to Green
  • Prince

Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »
Tobias gave her an unimpressed look. He wasn’t being paid for his tact, or his insight or sensitivity. He was being paid to keep the place safe, and he did a damn good job. He didn’t see the need to tolerate… What? He didn’t even know. He was getting angry and defensive, and he didn’t like himself when he was angry or defensive, let alone both at the same time.

”He still doesn’t have to be a dick about being complimented or flattered,” he said stubbornly. Which was part of the problem, even though it had ended like it had.

Some of the wind was taken out of his sails when she chastised him, and she was right. He was overthinking it. The before was still grating at him, but the during had been something truly amazing. He wasn’t going to be able to get an experience like that again easily, though that wouldn’t stop him from trying.

”I’m sorry,” he said a little sheepishly, self-consciously brushing his hair back. The words were hard to speak, and he wasn’t very good at apologies. But he was taking this too personally, and he knew it. He still didn’t understand just why it had had such an impact on him, but he’d have to overthink it more than a little to figure it out.

And honestly, he didn’t care. His curiosity had been satisfied, he still didn’t like Ares even though he could respect him for a job well done — it wasn’t like people particularly liked him, but they knew he did his job well — and he’d gotten a decent evening out of it. It just… Something felt flat. Maybe it was the way it had ended, so quickly when he’d still been disoriented. He felt better for the food and the coffee, but he still felt off balance.

”If you give me dessert, I’ll drop it,” he said with puppy eyes. He’d drop it anyway, but he still wanted something sweet.

Irja Bucksbrook

White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »
The more Tobias talked about it, the more Irja became convinced it was less a problem of Ares being a dick -- which really wasn’t strange at all, he could be a bit of a dick -- and more a problem of Tobias finally running into a person at the Red Star who didn’t find him utterly charming. Irja humoured him, most of the girls fawned over him, even Marcella indulged him with practiced ease. Ares had never been one to conform to the people he spoke to. Not unless they paid him first.

“He doesn’t hate your you know,” She said dryly. “And if it makes you feel any better, it’s not like Ares has many friends, nor will he ever have them.” She added, petting Tobias on the shoulder. “It’s nothing personal against you.” Irja assured him with her sweetest smile.

“Don’t worry about it,” She said. “You were bound to have a rough night here at some point, you had a good streak.” And honestly, Irja thought he would’ve run away screaming after Marcella. The fact that he was still in her kitchen begging for snacks after even Ares…

She was never getting rid of this man, ever again now. She’d have to poison his precious danishes if she wanted to be rid of him.

She sighed dramatically, and rolled her eyes a little.
“There’s a cinnamon rice pudding in the cooler.” She said with a gesture at it. “Help yourself, just leave enough for the rest of the house, or you can suffer their wrath without me championing your usefulness.” She warned him.

Tobias Marasfield

Summer-sky to Green
  • Prince

Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Tobias blinked, surprised. ”I didn’t think he hated me,” he said, shaking his head. But it made sense that someone like Ares wouldn’t have many friends, if any at all. ”Doesn’t he get lonely?” he asked dubiously. He couldn’t imagine going through his days without friends to chat with and tease. He’d wither away without the social interaction. ”Or bored?”

He shrugged, though, after Irja patted his shoulder. He had his fair share of people who did hate him, and he didn’t much care. As long as they stayed out of his way, they could hate him all they wanted.

”I could’ve stood staying on a good streak,” he commented. ”But my curiosity’s been sated. I’m good now.” Maybe. He still hadn’t gotten to see just how Ares could use his cock. He still hadn’t had the chance to earn the right to fuck that tight ass. He’d never know what those things felt like, but he could live with that. It wasn’t like he always got what he wanted, even though it was close.

He perked up at the mention of the rice pudding, stepping away from the wall and toward the cooler. He grabbed his plate and served himself a generous portion — not too generous, because he didn’t want everyone in the Star pissed off at him for stealing their sweets, but enough to make sure he had a good helping. He took a bite even before he put the rest back in the cooler, humming in pleasure. ”No one cooks like you do, Irja.”

Irja Bucksbrook

White to Rose
  • Hearth Witch

Red Star's Mom
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    29 Posts    643 marks
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »
Irja chuckled and shook her head slightly.
“Don’t we all?” She asked, because loneliness and boredom was the bread and butter of the Red Star. It was the main reason people came in. And quietly she assumed that Ares played the mind games he did because he was lonely and bored. A lot. He was long lived, he hadn’t aged a day in all the years that Irja had known him, it couldn’t be easy to make friends in Little Terreille. Which was likely why the long lived races stuck to their own.

“Were you volunteering?” She asked impishly. “Don’t you already have your hands full with Lucas?”

She watched him as he went for the sweets like a child. Why she put up with him was beyond her -- other than having him as the patron saint of the Red Star meant far less incidences of violence and far less need for her and her workers to try and pay off blackmailers, extortionists and more.

If that meant another mouth to feed, she supposed she’d take the pay off.

“I know.” She said sweetly. “I already feel sorry for the woman you’ll eventually marry.” She added tilting her head with a cheeky smirk.
“I’m being called, I need to get back to work, now that you’re bouncing back again.” Irja decided.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open for over a year, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

WINTER - AW102

The seasons will change on 08/19.

Recent Topics

Bedtime Accusations by Arkyn Wildling
[Today at 02:57:45 PM]

Stoneheart, Eira by Jenn
[Today at 12:46:04 PM]

There is this thing by Catriona Blackthorn
[Today at 11:34:32 AM]

Testing boundaries by Iskra Graves
[Today at 04:18:44 AM]

Our Bodies Safe to Shore by Roan Bélanger
[July 20, 2019, 07:29:55 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Fellowship
Companions | Open Jewels | Kaeleer
Plaguebearers

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner