Green to Red
  • Black Widow
  • Played By: Jenn

Travelling Seer
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    5 Posts    27 marks
No place like home
« on: June 12, 2019, 08:10:01 PM »
Dagger sliced the apple, a chunk of meat brought to her lips as she lounged. It had been luck that she'd found the apple in itself, the orchards and fruit trees of Little Terrielle dead and dying. Maybe some of that luck would spill out over more than just a chance apple. Sharp white teeth crunch the meat of the fruit and Eithne watched. She was on a mission, she needed work and she'd heard rumors. Rumors of a family that could find her work. Work that was neither on her back or spinning webs.

She'd do her widow's craft if she needed but she was growing weary of the demands for foolish webs. She needed something that would give her a challenge. Something that would make her blood burn again. Blood that ached to go home, blood that needed a diversion. And what was a better diversion than breaking knee caps and doing what she was made to do? The blood of Dea al Mon flowed heavier than her Hayll blood making her dagger flew true every time. Craft or a gift from the Darkness? Who really knew?

"I wouldn't," she hissed at the boy attempting to slip a sticky fingered hand into her pocket, "It'll get you nothing but a smart bottom and a broken finger. Think wisely my boy." She was rewarded for her threat when the kid in question gave her a surprised glare and darted away. Silly, foolish short lived children. She had far too long to hone those skills. It didn't help the situation that her illusions created a weave of weakness about her. It was generally to the surprise of those who pressed her hand when the realized she was not as weak as she seemed.

Ah.

There was the man she needed. She slid her foot down from the wall to stand flat and she blended in carefully with the crowd as she followed him. Such an interesting family but one that would serve her well if she could get in it. Maybe she could convince this Tobias to help her crack that damnable shield. Oh that shield! Her bane and her worst enemy. Foolishness to put it up and every time she went there the scent of her father's jewels slapped her in the face. Any help she could get would do.

I just slapped something up. She's following him so feel free to have him double around and manhandle her if need be.

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
Re: No place like home
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:55:30 PM »
The witch was crying.

Tobias watched her, a thrill running through him as he took another step closer to her. She edged back, but there wasn’t much room for her to go anywhere. Under any other circumstances, he’d have been moved by the sight of a woman in tears. He’d have been the first to wipe away those tears and soothe her — or go look for the person who’d caused them with a few violent thoughts in mind.

But this was all business.

She owed his family money, and that meant he wasn’t there as a friend. He was there as an enforcer, and he wasn’t someone debtors wanted to see. His presence meant the Marasfields were tired of waiting to be repaid — and that they were going to learn just what a bad idea it was to put them off.

”Please,” she said, the fear rolling off of her in near-tangible waves. ”I’ll have the money tomorrow. I promise.”

He smiled at her, but it wasn’t a pleasant smile. It was one fraught with danger, a predator’s smile instead of the more charismatic one he’d have turned on the witch if they’d met in any other time and place. ”That’s what you said the last time we came to collect,” he said, canting his head to the side. ”Do you need motivation to… find it?”

”I just need time,” she pleaded with him. ”Tomorrow. I promise.”

”You know that I’m going to turn up bright and early in the morning, don’t you?” he wondered aloud, his gaze intense upon her. She nodded. ”See, usually, I’d be getting coffee and pastries first thing in the morning, so I’m already going to be annoyed.” He ran a hand through his hair, but he never looked away from her. ”You aren’t going to annoy me more by trying to run away or delay me, are you?”

She shook her head quickly, hair falling into her face. ”N-no. I’ll have it for you. I p-promise.”

His grin turned almost cheerful then, and he clapped her on the shoulder. ”Good girl,” he said in approval. ”Have my money in the morning,” he murmured into her ear, one last warning before he squeezed her shoulder and stepped back. ”Have a good afternoon.”

He watched her scamper back like a little mouse, and she was quick to close and bolt the door closed behind him as he left. Like that was going to help if it came down to it. He shook his head, bemused, and turned down the road.

He dismissed all thoughts of the witch, knowing full well he’d made enough enemies to where he had to keep an eye on his surroundings. He didn’t let his guard down often, and there were few enough places he was comfortable relaxing in. In the middle of the street certainly wasn’t one of them. When he realized he was being followed, he took a turn off the main road, forcing his pursuer to follow him into a less populated area even as he sight-shielded himself.

He waited until she had stepped off the main street to circle behind her, giving her seconds to realize she’d lost him before he dropped the sight shield in favor of a physical one. From directly behind her, he spoke into her ear. ”You could’ve just said hello.”

Eithne Clach

Green to Red
  • Black Widow

Travelling Seer
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    5 Posts    27 marks
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:12:32 PM »
She was intent on her prey, like a true predator and Eithne was tenacious. She'd either slip a dagger between his ribs or she'd come out of it with a job. She just had to catch him. Feet follow, head giving warnings that went unheeded and Eithne stepped off the street to follow him into an alley that had not a single other soul in it. Her head whipped around, eyes searching for the Marasfield man and she found nothing.

What in the fucking name of Darkness just happened?

He had been feet in front of her and now he was gone. Eithne never lost someone she was following and the experience was new. She cringed and scowled and kicked at the dirt. For a badass black widow, she threw a temper tantrum rather well. She was about to turn and stomp away when his voice came just behind her ear. Her entire body tingled, stiffened with surprise and irritation. He'd gotten one on her and she couldn't decide who she was more pissed at. Him or herself.

"Now where would the fun be in that?' she drawled quietly as she moved forward enough to turn dagger sliding down her sleeve. Protection was the better medicine. "Would I be a liar to say you're Tobias Marasfield?" Fucking sight shields. It had to be a fucking sight shield. She hated those things. She was not good at them for all her red jewel and age, she'd never been able to create them reliably nor could she suss them out when she needed.

"All them rumors and I wouldn't have thought you to be a slinking, sneaking man," she continued as her dark golden eyes drifted down his body to climb once more to his face, "Hiding from one helpless woman." She tsked her tongue as she shook her head. 

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »
Her temper tantrum had him pressing his lips together to keep from chuckling. He’d won that particular round, and obviously, she hadn’t appreciated it. He didn’t know why she’d been following him, but she’d just confirmed that she’d been doing just that. He studied her for a moment, his eyes raking up and down her from beneath his sight shield, but he didn’t recognize her. Black Widow, certainly, but not one that set off his alarms.

He kept his gaze firmly on her even after he dropped the sight shield, noting every small movement. ”Such a beautiful woman knows who I am. I’m flattered,” he said with a grin at her, guileless and harmless as he absolutely wasn’t.

He laughed then, watching her more appreciatively than like she might present a threat. ”No woman is ever helpless,” he said. ”Any man who thinks so risks his balls, wouldn’t you say?”

Eithne Clach

Green to Red
  • Black Widow

Travelling Seer
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    5 Posts    27 marks
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 12:13:01 AM »
Eithne scoffed and rolled her eyes, "You see there? Rolled my eyes so hard I almost saw the back of my head." She shook her head. She had a feeling he thought she was some silly little flake, only capable of fawning all over him and giggling at his flattery. "Before you go any further embarrassing yourself," she continued, "Flattery will get you no where with me. Better save that flowery talk for someone who'd be affected by it." That was a lie. Eithne was affected by it, secretly and never to be said out loud, but she would refuse to allow it to be seen any where on her face.

She tapped the dagger against her thigh, a move designed to bring his eyes there. "Oh I suppose I could agree with that one," she said as she tapped it again, "And it's hard not to know who you are. The streets are just a flutter with rumors of you." The right kind of streets were a flutter with rumors and quiet fear of the Marasfield family. Eithne wasn't among the latter but she could appreciate the subtle fear and awe a single family could cause.

Foot shifting she studied him. He looked the type used to getting his way and from that moment Eithne made it her mission to not give it to him. She could easily do so, forget who and what she was to get lost in him but what would that really get her? Nothing more than a moment's relief. "If you're finished wasting your flattery, I might have an offer for you."

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:35:28 AM »
”Is it flattery, or is it the truth?” Tobias countered, boyish grin firmly in place on his lips. ”You shouldn’t roll your eyes when someone compliments you, Lady…?” He left it open for her to answer — or not, depending on how she reacted. Flattery might not work on her, but he pretty much only had two modes: flirtatious and cold. He didn’t think she’d appreciate seeing him in work mode.

Besides, that would be terribly boring.

His eyes flicked quickly down to the dagger even though he knew he shouldn’t let his attention wander, and he was glad he’d decided to keep the physical shield up. Smaller and weaker as she was, she still had a blade, and he hadn’t been joking when he’d said all women could be dangerous. He should’ve known that someone who’d pursue him would have a knife on hand.

His grin turned coy. ”People talk about me?” he asked, like he didn’t have any idea that his reputation was rather extensive by then. ”Now you’re the one flattering me.”

But the mention of an offer got his attention. Usually someone didn’t stalk him in the streets to make him an offer. He was usually around and available, easy to find by those who might be looking for him. He wasn’t hiding. That simply wasn’t him.

”I don’t promise not to compliment you,” Tobias replied, studying her. ”But you have my attention. What’s worth chasing me down on the street to offer me, hmm?”

Eithne Clach

Green to Red
  • Black Widow

Travelling Seer
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    5 Posts    27 marks
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »
Foolish man. "I wouldn't," she answered, "If the compliment was sincere." She fought the urge to stick her tongue out at him and settled for a smirk instead. Her siblings would be sorely disappointed in her for letting the man get to her. She was well known for her icy demeanor, for her ability to rush through life unflappable and calm. And now look at her? Letting some foolish man get the best of her. She growled at herself before grinding out her name between teeth, "You can call me Eithne."

She enjoyed the sight of his eye flicking over her dagger. Served him right for assuming she wouldn't be armed. It would be stupid for a woman to go about unarmed in some manner or another, never mind the venom nail that itched to stick him even now. Why waste the poison when she'd just have to heal him of it?

She huffed at him, eyes rolling again at the coy smile. He really was foolish. Eithne could only hope that the rumors of his abilities were not stretched and exaggerated. "I'm doing no such thing," she scoffed, "When one asks where to find work, it's only natural people talk about the employer." Idiot man. She shook her head and blew breath out her nose, "Are you always so contrary?"

"Work," Eithne told him, "I have a certain... Skill set that need to be put to use. I can't go home and I'm bored." The truth was always the best approach. She was bored and she couldn't go home. She doubted he would make the connection between her and Dea al Mon so let him try to figure her out. "I hear you may be able to help me with that boredom," she went on, "In a special sort of way."

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:18:36 PM »
”Every compliment that comes from my lips is a hundred percent sincere,” Tobias reassured her. ”I can’t help it if there’s so much about you to praise.” He liked the sight of her smirk, liked the tone of her voice, and he especially liked the way she had to grit her teeth before she spoke her name. He was getting to her, whether she liked it or not, and he liked that, too.

The mention of work had him arching a brow, and he considered her through new eyes. He wanted to dismiss her simply because the aura around her seemed so… well, weak. But he saw the way she held that knife, and he considered the way she’d stalked him, and he wasn’t going to discount her completely. She obviously had something up her sleeve beyond a dagger. ”Usually,” he replied. Of course he was contrary.

He was curious to find out what kind of skill set she had that he might find interesting. It was rare that something like this happened. Usually when people were looking for him, they wanted him to do something — not to do something for him. He could think of a few things she could do for him, but it was probably better not to say so when she had a weapon in her hand. ”Do tell.”

Eithne Clach

Green to Red
  • Black Widow

Travelling Seer
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    5 Posts    27 marks
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
"Uh huh," her smirk deepened at him. She didn't believe a smooth, smarmy word coming out of his mouth, "Sure, sure. I think you believe it to be sincere, but I'm no moronic girl to fall for it." Did they fall for it? Eithne would have to watch and give the girls a smack for being so stupid. Eithne had been alive for far to long to fall for such sweet words. She rolled her eyes again at him. "I'm not surprised that you would go the opposite of what anyone would want or think," she continued, "It simply wouldn't suit what I've seen thus far."

She didn't even care if her rudeness and snark made him mad, didn't care if he came at her with death in his eye. Let him. It would serve him right and show him how capable she was as both Hayllian and Dea al Mon. She did like the way he grew wary around her dagger. Maybe not as stupid as she originally thought. It was strange that so many of the rumors had painted a fierce, determined, and sometimes cruel man and she found a joker.

Dagger twirling between her fingers, faster and faster as she stared at him. "I am very good at dealing death," she twisted her fingers to stop the dagger once more, "Poisons. Blades. All of it and I am very good at illusions." Dropping the illusion of her strength just enough to let him know that green and weak was not all she was, she twisted the thread to show a slinking shadow against the wall before sliding it back into shape.

Turn swift, dagger flying slamming into the shadow dead center. "Appearances are not always what they seem, Tobias, and people often underestimate what they can only see," her smile was soft and cocky around the edges as she moved gracefully to retrieve her blade. A soft grunt and she turned again, "Well? What say you? Have you a job for me?"

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open for over a year, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

SPRING - AW103

The seasons will change on 12/19.

Recent Topics

Transactions by The Darkness
[Today at 05:17:41 PM]

Prisoners & Poisoners by Harrow
[November 02, 2019, 08:02:06 AM]

The restless wife by Emile Dupuis
[October 22, 2019, 12:24:44 AM]

Event: Rivers of Ruin by Irisviel Crag
[October 20, 2019, 10:54:56 AM]

Bedtime Accusations by Kirsi
[October 18, 2019, 04:30:12 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

Lane
Priestess | SS to Green | Traveling Terrielle
Ringmaster of Legarde Family Circus

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner