Prey [CW]

Description: CW for violence  bismark   mihail 

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
Re: Prey [CW]
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 11:13:14 PM »
Dustan wasn’t some thug, or low-life. Which was what had made all of this such a big risk. Which was why he hadn’t wanted to involve anyone from the court. Or anyone at all, initially. Dustan might be an asshole, but he had a family that would come looking for him eventually. Mihail wasn’t sure Tobias appreciated all of that.

“Why would I go running my mouth?” He snarled. “Clearly I don’t need this shit coming back to bite me, it’s not my discretion you need to worry about.” He added, a little hot-headed still. He had the most to lose here. Tobias Marasfield could apparently make these things go away. And he obviously had no problems getting rid of people who would cause trouble for him.

It wasn’t so easy for Mihail.

He glowered at Tobias when the man grew impatient with him.

“Excuse me if I have some reservations about your professional integrity right now.” He grumbled. “He had family, they’ll come looking, I had wanted them to just find a body so they could put it behind them and put an end to all of this. Not leave it open ended with their only son being missing.” he added-- because it wasn’t like he had spent ten days sitting on his fucking thumbs. He’d thought this out, how it would tidy up in the cleanest way possible. If Dustan had just been the unfortunate victim who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, this would all just tidy itself up!

Now it would languish, and his name would continue to come up for Darkness knew how long...

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 11:19:26 PM »
”And you don’t have to worry about mine,” Tobias said, shrugging just as he had several times since they’d started to talk. ”Obviously you have no reason to believe me,” he drawled, ”since I’m a criminal and all,” and one the guy had had no compunctions about hiring, ”but I don’t want anything getting out either.”

He didn’t really need the boost to his reputation — though he’d be safe. No one would assume it was personal for him, so they’d know it was a job. They’d know someone else had wanted Dustan dead. He was just… the tool, if he was even that. He wasn’t going to get involved beyond what he’d already done, and making it seem like this had never happened.

”We’ll let them find a body then,” he said, not seeing what the problem was. ”Burn the place down. Anyone comes looking, they’ll assume he pissed off the wrong person. Stop being so fucking melodramatic.” The kid was inexperienced, but fuck. He had to trust that Tobias knew something of what he was doing. It wasn’t like what he did was strictly legal most of the time!

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
Tobias seemed to by and large miss the bigger picture, and it was frustrating. Mostly because he didn’t want to tell Tobias about the bigger picture. Of course the man wouldn’t understand the problems and complications about someone realizing that Dustan Sands had gotten his jewel broken. That wasn’t a small thing -- not to normal people anyway. That made it personal, that made it vengeance, and as much as he’d wanted it, he hadn’t wanted it to look like it was.

He was starting to feel a headache develop as Tobias kept insisting on the same course of action.

“Yes.” Mihail said shortly. “It was supposed to look like he’d just pissed off the wrong person.” He added. “But the broken jewel makes it a whole different type of crime. One that will make people raise questions and I don’t fucking need them to be questioning broken jewel.” He grouched. They were going around in circles without a good solution to the problem. He wasn’t fiucking leaving until he had put his mind at ease that this wasn’t going to come back to him. And more important, that it didn’t come back to Lirielle!

The cleanest option -- just having his body found as a victim of some anonymous crime -- had been fucking ruined. The next best thing he supposed was for Dustan to disappear. It hadn’t been easy to find him, clearly or he wouldn’t have had to deal with the Marasfield who continued to condescend him, and if his family believed he had really vanished to another realm…

“I’m not being melodramatic, I’m trying to be thorough.” He scowled. “You don’t know the whole story.” He added bitterly. “I don’t know what your fucking problem is or what fucking posessed you to break him, but  can you please stop treating me like I’m an idiot and accept that it fucks up my carefully laid plans?” He asked with a glare at the prince.

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »
They circled back around to the same point over and over, and Tobias sighed. He wanted to be done with this. If he wasn’t such a professional, he’d have considered just leaving it a mess — but he was a professional, and there was no way he was going to just leave this untended to.

He listened, his expression hard, as Mihail rehashed just why it had gone wrong and just how it had fucked up his plans. Maybe he had a point, but it wasn’t like Tobias had ever cared before. He probably shouldn’t have assumed they’d just be disposing of the body, but even then… He wasn’t sure his self-control would’ve been able to take it.

Finally, he lost his temper, snarling, ”He told me what he did. He told me why. He pleaded and threatened and he knew what he’d done was wrong, but he kept making fucking excuses. He deserved worse than what either of us gave him.” There it was, laid out there in a way he hadn’t intended for it to be. He hadn’t wanted to say it, but they were just going to keep on going in circles otherwise. ”So I’m fucking sorry for ruining your plans, but I’m not sorry for breaking the bastard. I wish I had broken both of his fucking jewels.”

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
He’d told him. He’d told him!

Mihail stared at Tobias Marasfield, his expression going from agitated scowl to grimly pissed off in a slow descend as his mood crashed further. Why? Why had he gotten a third party involved?! Why a guy like Marasfield?! What had fucking possessed him.

“Fuck!” He snarled, at no one in particular. Or rather, at himself. “Fuck!” he snarled a second time, turning away from the prince and pacing the room. So much for tying up loose ends. So much for keeping this under wraps. So much for don’t worry Lirielle, no one will ever have to know.

He should’ve managed it alone. Or at the very least hire someone who was disposable. Not the fucking bloodhound of the Marasfield syndicate. That wasn’t a beehive he was willing to poke a fucking hole in, if Tobias’ reputation was anything to go by, they were not the friendliest lot, and they likely have more than enough people to make his life -- and by extension that of the court -- seriously miserable, if not impossible.

He wanted to murder Dustan all over again for talking. The fucking weasel.

“Of course he deserved fucking worse,” He grouched, making a dismissive hand gesture. “You think this is what I tracked him the fuck down for? To quickly put him out of his bloody misery?” Mihail demanded to know.
“What kind of moron do you take me for?” He snarled. “Don’t.” He immediately followed up holding up a hand. “Just don’t answer that.”

It wasn’t important, and he didn’t fucking care what Tobias thought of him. He never had. He was just supposed to be a fucking thug. Now he was a fucking accomplice and a witness all in one.

“This was supposed to end here.” He snapped. “With no one the wiser, and Dustan fucking Sands in an early grave so he would never come back in our lives.” He added hotly. “That was the end game, not settling the score, or revenger, or getting even, or making him pay. That’s why it had to be an open and shut case. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong people, completely tragic. Now--” He threw his hands up in exasperation.

“Now he’s going to have to fucking disappear, and his name is going to be brought up at every fucking function.” Mihail continued to rage -- seeing how Tobias knew anyway, it didn’t matter anymore if he knew what the consequences of his dumb fucking actions were.
“And as the cherry on fucking top. You know.” 

Tobias knew, and Tobias had thought he knew better. Had thought that Mihail wouldn't be able to handle it, that he wasn't prepared, that he'd gone off half-cocked like a fucking idiot.

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 11:46:45 AM »
Tobias crossed his arms across his broad chest, watching as Mihail started to pace. He’d known the Warlord wouldn’t take it well, and he’d been right. He’d been hoping to get through this without telling him, had damn well committed to it, but it had needed to be spoken. He hadn’t broken the Warlord Prince on a lark, or for fun. It had been… justice, insofar as he was able to dole it out.

He listened instead of interrupting, letting Mihail vent to him. He breathed out slowly, frowning. ”It still wouldn’t have gone the way you think,” he pointed out. ”If anyone finds out about your Queen, they’ll know instantly any death was on your hands, or they’d blame her.” He shook his head, then held up his hand, glaring daggers at Mihail. ”And if you think for one second you can hire someone to take me out, you have another thing coming. I get one whiff of someone trying to come at me, and I will make sure you pay.”

Mihail had a whole hell of a lot to lose. Tobias… didn’t have shit to lose, not really. Not unless someone got awfully lucky when they tried to kill him, and that wasn’t likely. Chances were that if someone got an offer for him, they’d just come to him knowing he’d double the price to find out who it was. He wouldn’t be easy to kill, and it wouldn’t be painless. He’d make damn sure Mihail paid for it — and by extension, his Queen would pay for it, which was why as long as Mihail understood the consequences, it wouldn’t happen.

But he sighed, tilting his head back and gazing at the ceiling for a moment — for all that he still kept his eyes on the armed, pissed off Warlord nearby. ”No one has to know he was broken,” he said reluctantly. ”I can make that go away.”

As for him knowing… He shrugged. ”As long as you don’t try to stick a dagger in me,” he cast a pointed look at the ground where Dustan’s body lay, ”your secret’s safe. Even if I was the type to run my mouth, and I’m not, I don’t want to make life harder for your Queen.”

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 01:49:57 PM »
He didn’t like his plans questioned, and when Tobias did just that he had to bite his tongue not to tear the man a new one all over again.
“No one was supposed to ever find out.” He said sharply. The unspoken ‘and now there’s you to consider’ hung thick in the air.

How had everything gone to shit so badly? He’d been so careful in his planning. He had been so discrete, no one he’d spoken with had had a clue why he was looking for Dustan. And yet…

“I’m not suicidal.” Mihail snapped irritably at Tobias. “I know enough about your family to know better.” He muttered. And boy, did he regret opting to hire Tobias over just about anyone else. “I’m just regretting getting anyone involved at all.” he muttered.

If it had been his own error, he could have just dealt with it. But now that it had been Tobias’ fuck up screwing him--

His gaze shot to the prince though, eying him as he suggested no one needed to know.
“...How?” He asked, a little incredulously. Whatever solution Tobias had had better be a good one to make up for screwing this up. And considering the guy had been nothing but unpleasant to him since he’d walked in, he wasn’t sure why he’d bother now.
“What do you care about my Queen?”

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
”But someone did,” Tobias countered, unfazed. ”And you have to deal with that instead of whining about how it wasn’t supposed to happen. Deal with it, and move on.” Mihail was so young, but he still should’ve known that even the best plans never came to completion. There was always something.

He shook his head. ”K-Mihail,” he caught himself, ”you aren’t a one-man army. Sometimes you have to ask for help. If you’d slow down and breathe and think about the solutions instead of the problems,” he said pointedly, ”then we can fix this.” And for fuck’s sake, he wasn’t getting paid enough to play therapist, especially when he knew the Warlord would resent the advice!

Tobias scoffed. ”You don’t really need to know the details of that,” he said. ”But I can make sure no one knows he’s broken.” He paused, then allowed, ”One person. But they’re as discreet as I am, and they won’t know why.” The Black Widows on their payroll got paid entirely too much to go running their mouths.

The other question caught him by surprise, and he paused for a moment. ”Men like Dustan give all of us a bad name,” he said, thinking of the way Charis had frozen when he’d gotten too close to her. ”I may be an asshole, and I may be cold, but I'm not a total heartless bastard. Not unless someone pissed his family off, anyway, but then it wasn't personal. "He lost control. She just happened to be there. No reason to wish her ill.”

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
Not someone. Tobias Marasfield did. And it didn’t sit well with him. He didn’t trust the guy -- obviously he couldn’t trust him, because he’s had a straight forward job for him and he’d managed to fuck it up. Mihail ground his teeth in annoyance.
“Easy for you to say.” He scowled. “You don’t have to go home to a broken Queen and renege on the promise that you’d make sure no one would ever find out.” He added pointedly, casting Tobias another dark look.

Slowing down, breathing and asking for help was exactly the recipe he’d followed to get to where he was now. Which was nowhere near where he’d wanted to be.

He eyed Tobias, not really going for the trade-secret bullshit excuse. Definitely not when the man admitted it would bring another person in the know.
“Who?” He asked shortly, because he really didn’t want more people involved. More people meant more risk of this information spreading. It only took one slip up.

He should’ve kept it all to himself. He should’ve been more patient, he should’ve waited for Dustan to surface again.

It wasn’t a great answer that Tobias gave. A vague sense of propriety was hardly the stuff that was going to hold up under duress. If push came to shove, Tobias wouldn’t give enough fucks about Lirielle to keep her out of trouble.

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 04:27:34 PM »
Something flickered in his expression. Though he hated courts and their aristo bullshit, that didn’t mean he wished ill upon them. All right, so maybe he’d enjoy a nice punch to Mihail, but it was more because he was a pain in the ass and less because he was an aristo. It wasn’t the broken part that bothered him so much as the fact that she’d been faced with a rut so severe that she’d broken. That sort of savagery didn’t sit well with him. Rape… was something he’d never do. Ever.

But he sighed. ”Just tell her no one knows, Mihail. If she’s that bad off, lie to her and let her have her peace. I’m not going to fucking tell anyone,” he said, a little offended that Mihail might even think he’d go spreading that around — unless, of course, Mihail tried to knife him in the back. Then all bets were off, even though he didn’t particularly like using the Queen to get back at the man. Still, the best way to get at someone was to target their loved ones.

He didn’t say that.

He finally acquiesced, running a hand through his hair. ”I’ll get an illusion web from a Black Widow,” he reluctantly explained. ”She won’t know for who, what, or why.” He glowered at Mihail, but he added slowly, ”You might want to consider the same for her.”

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »
The idea of lying to Lirielle had never even crossed his mind. He’d been so focussed on just getting this done and returning triumphant and as the guy who had solved the problem, that the suggestion hit him like a brick.
“What.” He said, wrinkling his nose and forehead alike. “I can’t lie to her.” He said shortly. “If she found that out…” He added with a resolute shake of his head. She’d be so upset and mortified! She’d never forgive him.

And illusion web. From a Black Widow. Nicai crossed his mind. He wasn’t sure if she could do something like that. But it was good advice, and part of him really wanted to forgo Tobias’ black widow and get Nicai to do it. Nicai already knew everything, it would limit the number of people who knew the awful details.

Then again. Nicai didn’t exactly know he had gone out to put Dustan Sands down. She knew he went looking for him, but she didn’t know he had always intended to murder him in cold blood.

“That’s a good idea.” He said with a slow nod. Reluctant to admit it, but admitting it anyway as he paved the way to a truce. Just the way though, he wasn’t ready to forgive the man for his hand in making this all a right fucking mess.

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »
Tobias blinked at him. His Queen had been raped and broken, and he still wasn’t willing to lie to protect her? He would’ve lied in a heartbeat — which was probably one of the many reasons he’d never join a court. He’d lie, cheat, steal, do whatever he had to, to get things done, and he wasn’t going to apologize for it.

”Then since no one believes in the integrity of a hired thug,” he said, rolling his eyes, ”just tell her you paid me extra to keep me quiet.” He smirked. ”You can pay me extra, too, if you want, but look…” His expression turned more serious. ”I’m not in this to torment people.” He offered a wry look at Mihail. ”I know I do what I do, but I’m not in it to fuck with them because it’s fun. I don’t have any reason at all to tell anyone, and it would put a rape victim in more distress.”

He nodded. Of course it was a good idea. This was what he did. And he didn’t focus on what went wrong when he knew there was always a solution. There had to be, or he’d be out of a job. ”You have someone you trust to get one for her?”

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 05:11:38 PM »
He caught that look and his eyes narrowed. Of course someone like Tobias Marasfield wouldn’t understand.
“She needs someone she can trust, not someone who lies to her.” He clarified sharply, not about to be made to feel like an idiot for not wanting to be dishonest with his Queen. Lirielle was in no state to deal with dishonesty and lies right now.

He’d have to tell her that Dustan was gone, and… and that he’d tied up loose ends as best he could. It wouldn’t be a lie that way. Would it?

“It’s not about me, it doesn’t matter whether I believe you,” Mihail said with a shake of his head. “It’s about whether she believes that some random prince who I hired off the streets will tell anyone about what happened to her.” He explained. “I’m just the asshole who hired you.”

And the asshole who managed to let the information leak already. He wasn't sure how Lirielle would even react to that.

He exhaled and scowled again, not liking the fact that apparently any sort of preparedness or comptence came as a surprise to Tobias.
“Of course. My sister, she’s the court seer.”

Tobias Marasfield

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Syndicate Member
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    109 Posts    527 marks
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 05:21:00 PM »
He shrugged. ”Okay.” He wasn’t going to argue, even though if he was dealing with a broken Queen, he’d be lying his ass off. He was mostly honest with people, though, all things considered. Even the people he hunted down knew why he was there and why he was doing what he did. He didn’t sugarcoat it.

”If you don’t believe me, she sure as hell won’t,” he pointed out. ”If she trusts you that much, shouldn’t it matter that you believe it?” Honestly. This was so much drama.

He’d learned a lot about the Imola court in the past few days, more than he’d ever really wanted to know, if he was to be honest. But he filed the information away. He never knew when he might need it. ”Good,” he said, nodding. ”See? It’s all fine. I’ll get in touch with my Black Widow and have this handled before anyone finds the body. You gonna stick around and babysit? You’re not coming with me to talk to her, but you can stay here if you feel the need.”

Mihail Briarwood

• Inactive Character
  • 56 Posts    1138 marks
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
Mihail couldn’t really believe that Tobias would try to pull this crap. As if he had given him any indication that he could be trusted. The best part in all of this was that he’d kept up his end of the deal, while skull fucking the other part of it.

“You’ve not exactly been the epitome of reliable, Tobias.” He said shortly. “I asked you to find him,” He gestured at Dustan. “You broke him before I could get here.” He reminded Tobias.
“I told you it was none of your business why I needed to get my hands on him, and still you somehow managed to find out the ugly specifics. Which really are none of your fucking business, by the way.”

“And now I’m just supposed to trust that you have my Queen’s best interest at heart, and won’t sell us down the river the first chance you get.” He pointed out the fallacy of it all.
“The worst part is that I don’t have a fucking choice, because I’m the asshole that hired you.” He said, casting a last look at Dustan.

“I have better things to do than sit her and guard a dead body.” He muttered. “If we’re going to do a fucking trust fall, we might as well get it over with.”

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open for over a year, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

SPRING - AW103

The seasons will change on 12/19.

Recent Topics

Transactions by The Darkness
[November 11, 2019, 05:17:41 PM]

Prisoners & Poisoners by Harrow
[November 02, 2019, 08:02:06 AM]

The restless wife by Emile Dupuis
[October 22, 2019, 12:24:44 AM]

Event: Rivers of Ruin by Irisviel Crag
[October 20, 2019, 10:54:56 AM]

Bedtime Accusations by Kirsi
[October 18, 2019, 04:30:12 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

Lane
Priestess | SS to Green | Traveling Terrielle
Ringmaster of Legarde Family Circus

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner