Pella Labeau

Summer-sky to Opal
  • Priestess
  • Played By: dergon

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    18 Posts    651 marks
Spite
« on: June 17, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »

The girl was excitable, Pella had come to realize. Thankfully she was also biddable. It was hard to remain removed from her sweet nature, and Pella was almost thankful that Nora nattered on so. It made her annoying, and easier not to like. Completely. Half bemused and half exhausted, Pella had finally taken her into the proper village for shopping. Body up to the long walk after a couple days of rest. Mostly sick of seeing Nora wearing the same thing every day. And having Emile cast pleading glances at her.

If it was that pressing, he should have taken her himself! But Emile probably knew how much Nora talked. An endless list of questions rattled off as they came into the girl’s head. Pella did her best to answer, but some of it was hard to explain, and made harder by the way they were watched. She hushed her often, promising answers at home. Or distracting her with new things. And there were so many new things for Nora.

Some for Pella too. Like a beautiful curio. It was not new, but wonderfully maintained. Wood oiled to a high gloss. Hardly a scratch on it. The old grandmother it had belonged to had passed, and her granddaughter didn’t have room or use for it. Pella wanted it. Needed it. And she used Emile’s name and the promise of pearls to acquire it. The only catch was that it had to be gone that afternoon. Neither she nor Nora had the space for it in their psychic cabinet.

But Emile did.

So Pella sent Nora off to fetch him. Certain that the newest addition to his collection could convince Emile to come. He might deny Pella, but Emile was fond of Nora and Pella was not above using that to her advantage. She gave the girl explicit directions and made her repeat them back again half a dozen times until they were both sure she remembered. And the Pella sent her off, forgetting about her as she browsed and mingled. Forgot until she felt Emile’s thread and assumed he would be near.

”What’s taking you so long?” Pella demanded, never imagining Nora hadn’t made it home.

Emile Dupuis

Blood Opal to Red
  • Warlord Prince
  • Played By: Jones

King of Pearls
    Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    28 Posts    1176 marks
Re: Spite
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:46:32 PM »
Only once they were headed down the path did Emile’s anxiety begin to gnaw. It had sat across his shoulders for days while he watched Nora wear the same dress over and over. Chewing his thumbnail raw he tried to stay patient. It was very hard, though, when he wanted Nora to feel at home here. For that she needed a wardrobe of things to her own taste. Her own size, too. Something that didn’t cling so voluptuously to her breast, perhaps.

He had thought watching Pella lead her off would banish his worries. Instead it slunk down into his stomach. Eating at instinct. What would they talk about on this outing? Would Pella be kind or would her pettiness extend to Nora once they were alone? Drowning in doubts about he set about making himself busy. There was a pile of oysters from his morning haul that needed shucking. Emile had a very standard process for this work. Sometimes he had help. Today he did not. Which made it more work, a good thing so he could keep his mind from wandering it town after the women.

There was a fire pit in the yard, right where the soil turned to true sand. A shallow bowl lined in flat rocks. He tossed a layer of wood in then set it on fire. While the logs burned down to coals he layered wet palm leaves over the top to form a hot grill he could toss the open oysters onto. After cracking them open with craft he would check for pearls. Then set them on the leaves to cook. They would bubble and fry in their own shells as he sprinkled them with salt. It was much more than the family could eat alone, so he spared the rest the grill, forcing them open just enough for a curl of his Blood Opal to slither in and check for pearls. He found a few too small for harvesting and set the lot of living oysters back into the water. Carrying his cooked ones off to the kitchen to wait for company.

In seventy five oysters he had found ten pearls. A very successful batch. The cove was a hotbed for pearl oysters because the lagoon was ripe with the algae they fed on. Just the shells were worth their weight as fertilizer to the tobacco farmers on Thure. So even when he found no pearls for months he still managed to keep their income flowing. Food was never an issue, not when they could all turn to seals and dive into the sea.

The day wore on until he started to worry. Mess cleaned up he showered and started to make his way into the village. A thread winding ahead to find the women. Pella was easily found. He plied her with a thread, then followed the sound of her voice. Always scolding! Greeting her from behind he stole a pecked kiss from the top of her head. Side stepping to dodge any attempts at retaliation he gave her a shrug. ”I didn’t know you were waiting!” He defended. Of course he was just supposed to guess. Rolling his eyes he sighed, ”How is the shopping going?”

And… ”Where’s Nora?”

Pella Labeau

Summer-sky to Opal
  • Priestess

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    18 Posts    651 marks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 04:51:08 AM »

Pella was subtle in her jab. No need to set the villagers gossiping any worse than they did already. Pella claimed Aramis as her husband, and Emile claimed everyone as his. It made for good fodder. Remarks and questions Pella smiled serenely through, giving half answers while shifting the subject. Yet here he was, kissing her hair and dodging her elbow with ease.

”Oh please.” Pella snorted, sharing a smile with the woman she’d been talking too before turning away to usher Emile to the side where they could talk more privately. She saw, as she cupped is arm in her hand to drag him away, how the people looked at him. He was everything Paon loved. A dark Jeweled warlord prince to make war on their enemies. Pella wondered if they realized he was also an idiot and a boy. Probably not.

”It will be done once you’ve picked up the curio.” At least Pella was done, and she hoped Nora didn’t want to do any more shopping. The girl was slow about it. Touching and smelling everything. They would never be able to pass her off as a slave after this. Given too much liberty to make choices. Pella’s fault. But it had been hard to deny her. Glancing around, she wondered if Emile had left her home, fingers digging in as she tugged him toward the curio.

”What?” Pella paused, looking up at him. Then around again. ”I sent her for you over an hour ago. Where ever you left her is where she is.” She cast her Opal out, wondering if it was some sort of joke. Head turned to glance over her shoulder, half expecting Nora to leap out at her. But there was no Nora. Just an increasingly agitated Emile. Pella felt her heart rate rise in response.

”She knew the way, she repeated it to me ten times exactly!” They had just walked it that morning! Pella pushed him farther from the crowds. Hands and body taking him to where they would be less exposed. ”The curio was too big for either our cabinets so I sent her to get you while I finished. She knew the way!” Why did she have to defend herself? Eyes hot as anger and fear snarled at each other inside of her.

Maybe she had been right. Maybe Nora was a false pretender. Not looking just for protection, but waiting for the perfect moment to make her escape. Cultivating the trust that would allow it by playing small and stupid. Pella was outraged at being so duped.

Emile Dupuis

Blood Opal to Red
  • Warlord Prince

King of Pearls
    Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    28 Posts    1176 marks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »
Smile placid he paid no mind to the watchers. People who nodded at him or were so bold as to wave. Landers that he was wholeheartedly unconcerned with, about, or over. They bought his pearls, which paid for the things he could not otherwise acquire for his family. And they asked him onto ships to kill other Landers for stupid reasons but good pay. That was the whole of their worth to Emile. Though they prized him much higher without even knowing the secret of his second form.

His Jewel and caste were plenty for them to fawn over. Short sighted fools blinded by perceived power. They all hungered for a piece. Daughters offered, or told to offer themselves since before he had even made his Descent. They had known only that he was young and strong and could be very rich if he took to raiding. It made Emile grateful for the mystery that shrouded his mother still. Turning them away was easier when he had a good excuse like some long-lived blood in his veins. The village girls would be shriveled old women long before Emile had his first gray hair.

They giggled at him anyway. And at Pella as she dragged him off to a quieter corner of the main street. ”What curio?” He asked, looking around as if the furniture would materialize from thin air. The one at home had been salvageable. Just a broken leg that needed reattached. It would last them a few years if they were gentle. Which he supposed was not entirely likely. Besides Pella had undoubtedly chosen the piece. To deny her now would be a pointless fight. Aramis could put the old cabinet to use in his office probably. Sighing he motioned around the market, ”Where at then.”

More importantly though, where was Nora. A little lump formed in his chest at her answer. It grew heavier with each word until it dropped into his stomach painfully. ”What did you do?” He did not believe her. Why would she be so stupid as to send Nora out in a place so new? So unfamiliar? After all that bitching about how much a child she was too! His temper towered, seething under his skin. Blunt but hot. Landers walked by, giving them a wide girth without realizing why they did. Instinct putting a radius around the spot. Eyes narrowing he caught Pella under the chin. ”Say you’re joking.”

He studied those bright yet dark eyes for clues. Let her shoving hands guide him away from the village center. And was quiet while his mind raced nearly as quickly as his probes. Not broad. Slender. Precise. Down the path that would lead home. Checking every nook and cranny. ”If she knew the way then where is she?” Emile whispered with a dangerous edge. ”How can you say she knew the way to our hidden cove just because she repeated a set of directions a handful of times? All of Paon is new to her. Maybe you forgot, but this morning was the first time she ever left the house!” He roared.

The passion in her eyes was not missed, even with his temper soaring. Kneading his fingers on his eyebrow he shoved the heels of his hands into his eye sockets. Trying to press the emotion back in. ”I know you hate me but this, this is a new low.” Things had almost seemed content after he fucked her too. Emile had just started to think that was what it would take to soften the edges of her anger. She had just been setting him up for this.

”Pella. Swear to me you’re telling the truth. Did you sell her? I can fix this, whatever happened. I just need to know what I’m fixing.” He told her, trying to contain the currents of anger and distrust that swirled in his chest.

Pella Labeau

Summer-sky to Opal
  • Priestess

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    18 Posts    651 marks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 04:08:42 AM »

”The one for the kitchen.” Or had he forgotten that he’d broke the other one, along with all the dishes in it? Pella doubted he was that ignorant, just playing at it. He even went so far as to look for the damn thing. As if he expected her to being dragging it along behind her. ”Not here of course.” She snapped, rolling her eyes.

The curio was quickly forgotten, however. Nora taking precedence. The bubble of her personality missing when it should have been present. ”I didn’t do anything!” Pella defended herself, insulted that he would accuse her of doing anything nefarious to a girl. Beneath his hand, her jaw hardened. Teeth grinding together. Jerking herself free, Pella shook her head at him and moved them farther from the crowds. She refused to become gossip fodder.

”I don’t know.” How could she know? She’d sent the girl home, home is where she had expected her to go. Emile was having none of it. He clung to his first accusation, sure that it was Pella’s fault Nora had not returned. ”Quit shouting or there will be no secrets at all.” She hissed at him. Mind and heart racing. ”She has been out of the house, Emile. She dogs your every step, she has seen some of Paon and just walked that path with me this morning. I talked her through it the same as I have done all the others.”

Because it was always Pella’s job to see them comfortable. Asked as a courtesy, to dress up what was really an expectation. Pella, take them to the village, Pella, concoct the stories, Pella, see them fed, clothed, comfortable, clean. ”I. Didn’t. Do. Anything.” She bit at him. She hadn’t brought the girl home. She had cautioned him too! She should have listened herself. Instead she had fallen for Nora’s trick as well. Believing her sweet and innocent. And now she was gone.

Pella recoiled as if he had slapped her, face darkened as her emotions rose. ”You think I would sell one of our own?” She did not hiss or whine. Her voice went cold like buried iron. ”All I did was trust her like you do. I trusted her to go home and fetch you. And now she has gone. She tricked up both, Emile. I told you.” How could she have fallen for it? She should have been able to tell. ”It was the perfect opportunity for escape and I handed it right to her, Mother Night forgive me.” Forgive her for being a fool.

She never would wish her own captivity on anyone. Always having to content herself that the other women stayed because they wished to, whatever their reasons. It seemed Nora had none. ”I have never played you false, Emile. Never.” Every question answered with honesty when they were put to her. Brutal, vengeful honesty. ”That you accuse him of this...” She shook her head, and shooed him away with her hands. ”Go find her if you can. I have arrangements to make.”

She would never get the curio home now. All she could do was hope Emile didn’t kill her in his rage. Or anyone else. Except for Nora when he found her. The girl was an amazing pretender. False little fiend.

Emile Dupuis

Blood Opal to Red
  • Warlord Prince

King of Pearls
    Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    28 Posts    1176 marks
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
Chin slipped from his grip Emile took what was intended to be a steadying breath. All his limbs continued to tremble anyway. Anger making his skin vibrate. ”What does that hurt, other than your reputation?!” Secrets! The only secret he needed to keep was the one of his second skin. Which was not at risk no matter how often he yelled. Only Pella had secrets that needed to be maintained.

And Aramis, though there was no law among them to say he could not hunt and kill what he wished. It would only disturb the people they traded with. They tolerated Emile’s oddities. They would tolerate that too.

”She has been in the cove, Pellaaaa.” He growled. ”She has seen a sliver of Rosnay. If I dragged you to the mainland, and made you walk a path would you be familiar enough to get back to the beginning?” She expected the impossible. When she expected it of him it was easy to simply sag under the weight. Now that she had leveled it on Nora, who faced the consequences, he could not help the explosion of frustration in his chest.

They bickered the way married people tend to do. A vicious undercurrent in the quiet bubble of the public space. He accused. She berated. They both seethed. The boiling point of Emile’s anger reached. And just like a pot cooked over long, he was emptier after the outburst. Grinding his eyes with his fists again he sighed. ”She had a thousand opportunities to escape. She can shift and swim faster than I can. If escape was on her mind she would have done it on the ship, or while we were screaming in the kitchen. Or busy after.” He listed he times and places she could have used. Because he was not entirely sure in the dark pit of his heart. And listing the chances she could have taken was a type of reassurance.

Swiveling in agitation he looked around the marketplace as if he might suddenly find her standing there. Rage seeping out of his body and into the air he slumped. Hands cupping her shoulders, ”I know. I know. I’m sorry.” He didn’t try to cup her face despite wishing he could. ”My temper ran away with me. I said things I don’t believe. I’ll make it up to you.” With a thousand other things he had to make up for but never could.

”Wait here. I’ve called Aramis. He’ll bring your curio home. I’ll find Nora. She’s just lost.” He was sure. In a sinking, stomach trembling way. He was sure. ”She’s just lost.” Out there alone and probably frightened. Emile had promised that he would find her if she waited. Every time. So he reached with his Red to give his brother a psychic tug with a Green thread spear to spear. *Pella needs help in the market. Can you meet her there? Nora’s missing, I have to find her.* He could count on his brother to handle this. Pella’s temper, and her curio, and the scene he had caused.

He had a missing wife to find. Probes stroking the coast to find her.

Nora Dupuis

Tiger Eye Birthright
  • witch

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    24 Posts    992 marks
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 07:16:47 AM »

"Just lost my ass."

Nora was blissfully unaware of the strife she'd caused. Though not so unaware of the fact that she was indeed lost. Pella's directions had taken her to the small path they had emerged from. A decoy, Pella had called it. The path itself wound the wrong way and lead to another village farther south in a keyhole twist, Pella had said.

At the very tall tree, she was to turn east. Nora remembered the tree. They had stopped to admire it. Pella pointing out all the orange blossoms that sprung from its branches. And the fanciful groups of stones arranged around its roots. Markers, so they would always know this was the right tree, even if lightning make it not the tallest. Patting the tree, Nora had turned east just like she was supposed to.

Off the path and into the vegetation. It was cooler there, if darker. Light different colors as it filtered through leaves and flowers. Splattering her skin in greens and pinks. Nora held her arms out to the shafts and watched the patterns change down their length. Eyes searching for the other markers Pella had shown her. There wouldn't be a trail because they didn't want to lead others home.

"Home, home, home." Nora chanted as she skipped around a puddle hopscotch style. It had been her favorite land game as a child. Not that they had often been able to tempt her out of the water. Even before she knew how to shift. A flower picked and slipped through her hair, stem tucked behind her ear. She admired herself in another dark pool and then went looking for markers.

Which she couldn't find. Steps slowing, Nora looked harder and farther. Zigzagging through the trees in an attempt to spot them. Instead she found herself in a clearing. A large stump split down the middle was the focal point. New shoots just beginning to grow around it. And one up through its crack. Nora cooed and peered between the two darkened husks to look at the sapling. "This was a good place to wait," Nora decided. Emile had promised that he would come if she waited, whenever and wherever she got lost.

Then she heard the monkeys. Catching sight of them in the trees. The chittered and called to one another. Talking about her, Nora thought, because they lingered at the edges where she can see them. Curious, she tried to get a better look. They were very shy. Shyer even than the cats at home. She was peering around a tree, rough bark tickling her palms, when she felt the dark sweep of Emile's probes beneath her.

Jerking back around the trunk to look for him, Nora felt something yank the flower from her hair. And some of her hair with it. "Hey!" She cried, looking up in time to see a monkey dancing away with it. Twisting, Nora scanned the tree line, having slipped a little farther away from the clearing than she'd meant to. "Emile?" There he was! "Emile!" Hands pressed to the Tiger Eye above her breasts, Nora stretched up onto her toes in happiness.

Emile Dupuis

Blood Opal to Red
  • Warlord Prince

King of Pearls
    Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    28 Posts    1176 marks
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »
In his chest emotions writhed at one another. Hissing fear against whipish doubt. Was she trying to leave? Why? She had to know this was the place safest to be. No, she would never. Pella was trying to needle him. To displace his temper and hide from her own mistakes. That was the sort of person she was. Passing the blame so she did not have to feel any or face the consequences.

”She’ll wait for me.” He breathed, talking to  no one as he blindly through a sea of bodies. Droves parting to let him by. Eyes distant as they read probes instead of what was right in front of his face. A comrade or two bumped him as he passed. Blunt pats on his shoulder that he nodded at in distracted greeting. Energy and focus on a Craft he was not particularly good at. Well. He would have to get better. Starting with this stretch of practice. Probes direct and thorough in their search. From the point he stood down to the shoreline some miles away in a straight line. The line moved like the arm of a clock. Traced and retraced when he was not sure.

Then he hit the right spot. North of the marker that showed were to leave the path. In the dense foliage of the wilds. He was sure that was her psyche. Almost passed right by before he caught the flavor. Backing up slowly he lingered on her shape.
Are you alright?[/br] Was she running away? Panic rising in his chest he skirted the village and stomped through the wilderness to reach her fastest.

Breaking through a thatch of shrubs he found a clearing where her scent was strong. Fingers brushing over the severed trunk in the center he scanned the opposite treeline. ”Nora?” He called hopefully, letting his probes lead him deeper. When she answered it was like having a burn doused in cool water. A sort of relief he didn’t know his body could even muster. Clutching his chest he said her name again. ”I’m here.” Ears doing a better job than his exerted probes. That was the farthest he had ever pushed them in a search. Later he would consider it an interesting test of his limits.

Right then he was just relieved to scoop Nora up in a twirling hug. ”Mother Night you scared me silly! Are you alright? What happened?” Rushing his questions he pulled her close. Then put her down again so she could speak. Hands hovering on her shoulders and arms. Probes dancing over her to check for hurts. ”Your miles from home. Pella thought you were running away.” He accused indirectly. Embracing his own staunch belief in her loyalty twice as hard for almost having given it up.

Nora Dupuis

Tiger Eye Birthright
  • witch

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    24 Posts    992 marks
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 07:11:21 AM »

"Here where?" Nora laughed, peeking through the trees at him. She moved a low sweeping branch her path, and stepped right through a broad leafed fern. Fronds tickling her legs as she stepped between them and over the squat center stalk. And then there he was. Emile. Strong arms sweeping her up and making her squeal.

Around he spun them. Nora clung to his neck, cheek against his ear as she giggled. Dizzy for a moment before he set her down again, but didn't let her go. All the air crushed from her lungs. Nora didn't mind. If he was there squeezing her, then she was safe and he'd kept his promise to find her. "I'm sorry. I am." She promised when he let her breathe again. Hands working her shoulders and arms while his probes checked the rest of her. They tickled, making her squirm.

"I don't know. I got lost. But, Emile, I did just like Pella said." Nora explained, just a hint of whining at the end. She had! She'd followed Pella's instructions exactly. Excited to go home and fetch Emile. To be useful. Especially after Pella had been so nice to her. Nora pet the prickly hair on his head where it was cut close. Palms running down over his cheeks.

"Am I?" Nora sighed and leaned into him. Curling against his chest. Sunburn discovered when her nose scraped against his shirt. "I'm sorry to cause so much trouble. I wasn't running away though. I was coming to get you. Pella found a new curio but she couldn't get in her cabinet." Nora rested her forearms against his chest and looked up at him.

"I put a bunch of her things in mine to try and make room but it still wouldn't fit. She said Aramis was too busy so I better go get you. I don't know how she was able to reach him on a thread but not you." Nora blabbered, giving his chin a kiss when it got close enough. Not knowing Pella had been making excuses to keep Nora from bothering Aramis, while simultaneously getting Nora out of her own hair.

Wrapping her arms around his chest, Nora put her cheek to it and huffed softly. "You scared the monkeys away. And they stole my flower." She wished they had monkeys in their cove. Nora was sure she would have better luck taming one than she'd has with the cats so far. "I am sorry, Emile. I didn't mean to cause trouble." She would have to do better. If she kept getting lost and burning the bread they might not want her to stay anymore.

Emile Dupuis

Blood Opal to Red
  • Warlord Prince

King of Pearls
    Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    28 Posts    1176 marks
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
”It’s okay. You’re okay. That’s the only part that matters.” Eyebrows tipping together thoughtfully Emile weighed the two stories against one another. Nora so sure she had done exactly as instructed. Pella swearing she had given precise directions. Deciding who to believe was impossible. There was an easy solution, thankfully. ”Well, what was the last marker you remember seeing? We can go back there and try again.” Then maybe they could get to the root of the misunderstanding.

*She was off the path, waiting for me.* He sent smugly across a thread to Pella. Hands falling to Nora’s hips as she rose up to rub her hands over his cropped sideburns. He enjoyed that, particularly the way it soothed the roiling in his stomach. Grinning he asked, ”Want me to grow it out?” He shaved a few times a week. So a beard would take him a long time to grow. And likely be uncomfortable in the Paonese humidity. But he liked the way her fingers traced the hairline to do it anyway.

Nora nestled into his chest. Resting an arm across her back he chuckled lightly, ”You’re about seven miles north of home.” Poor sweet lamb. He kissed the top of her head. Which was steaming hot. Cooling Craft wove through her hair. Wicking away the sweat on her scalp and tickling her neck. ”You didn’t cause any trouble. Pella should have come home with you. She knows Paon is new, and it’s not easy to find the house.” Stroking the rosy cheeks she turned up to him Emile smiled softly. Skin so pink it must have burned.

Eyes searching out the plants around them he listened to her story. Nodding along so that she would know he was paying attention. Smile cracking his lips to flash his teeth at her innocence. ”She was fibbing. Aramis is getting the curio. She just wanted me to do it because she likes bossing me around.” grinning at her kiss he raced probes against her barriers again. She seemed happy, but was she really? Soothing his hands down her back he chuckled at her complaints. ”They’re pesky like that. We’ll find you another on the way home.” He said offhandedly. There would be plenty more flowers surely.

”Does your face hurt? It’s a little pink. We can put some aloe to help.” He offered, finger pointing towards a growth of fat leaves at the base of a tree. Taking her hand he lead her in that direction before hearing her answer. Showing her the plump leaves he broke one off at the base. Nearly as long as his arm. Filled with thick jelly that was cool to the touch. Using Craft like a blade he split a portion down the middle. Unfolding the two halves to show her the green goo inside. ”Lay a thick bit of that on any burn or scratch. Helps it heal faster. Good for dulling the hurt too.”

He would teach her all about the useful things on the islands. So she could thrive instead of just survive. Especially if she were trying to run away. Emile would not chase her if that was her choice. He would just follow at a distance. And bring her home if he wasn’t convinced she could make her own way without his intervening. Pella was wrong though. Hands cupping her back he vanished the aloe, lips pressing to her temple for a long time. Pella was wrong. This was were Nora wanted to be.

Nora Dupuis

Tiger Eye Birthright
  • witch

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    24 Posts    992 marks
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »

"The tree." Nora explained, ashamed only because she had failed, not because she had tried. Still not sure how she had managed it. Mind not suspicious enough to assume she had been set on the wrong path, or even consider the idea, as it never presented itself. "It was the right one. The big one with all the rocks in its roots. Pella showed it to me." Nora stretched up, fingers spreading toward the sky to describe the amazing height of the tree.

And then back down again to pet his hair. Shorn away from his face, and short around his ears. Answering his grin with one of her own, Nora shook her head. "No." She sang. "I like the way it scratches. It sort of tickle-y. Like your probes." And he got so quiet when she did it. Like he was paying attention to only her hands. Nora thought it was cute.

"That far?" She whimpered, deflating against him. At least he wasn't mad. Laughing softly into her hair and kissing her head. Craft summoned up to help cool her down.
Nora wasn't sure she'd ever get used to the heat. Or the sudden way it rained. And it rained a lot! Giggling, she squirmed away from the tickle at her neck, hand rubbing the shaded skin beneath her hair.

"I think she was worried they would sell the curio again if she didn't stay close." She had heard Pella muttering to herself about it. Half speaking to Nora but mostly to herself. She could tell, by the tone. Eyes following Emile's, Nora wondered what he was looking for. Story continued as she helped search. "Oooh." Nose wrinkling in confusion, Nora shrugged. She did not understand the strange way Pella and Emile's relationship worked, and so did her best to keep away from it.

"I don't know. I kind of like them." The made the best noises, and Nora was in awe of the way they swung through the trees. Leaping from branch to branch! Faster than she could run on the ground. But not as fast as she was in the water. Not even Emile could catch her in her seal form. Eyeing the plant he pointed at, Nora considered, nose and eyebrows bobbing. "Maybe a little, now that you say."

Nora followed him over to the tree, watching as he broke off a broad leaf and split it open. "It looks gross." She laughed, dipping her fingers into it. Squishing it between her fingers, Nora laughed, dabbing up more and swiping it down her nose. "It's cold!" More laughter as she folded into him. Aloe leaf vanished. Emile held her close, lips pressed to her temple in what was a kiss but didn't feel like a kiss. Nora pet his arm. Wrist to shoulder and back again in a soothing repetition.

"Are you okay? Did you fight again?" She didn't know how to help him. Nora nuzzled some of the aloe onto his cheek and grinned. "I got you something!" Gifts were always nice, even when you shared them with all your agemates. But this Emile wouldn't have to share with anyone. Nora had traded shells a few pretty pieces of coral she'd collected for it. Calling it in, she thumped the bar against his chest.

"You said you didn't have any of your own. So I got you some. Smell it!" She waved it beneath his nose to entice him into taking a sniff. Nora thought it had a nice smell. Like sea water and something she didn't have a name for. Pella said it was an herb, like for cooking. "Good huh? You can keep it in the shower." Which she had recently discovered. Squealing when the water had pelted her.

"I couldn't decide on one for myself. But the lady told me all about how she makes it and gave some slivers so I can try it myself." She rambled happily, imparting the information she'd learned to Emile.

Emile Dupuis

Blood Opal to Red
  • Warlord Prince

King of Pearls
    Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    28 Posts    1176 marks
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
”That would have been a much easier situation to resolve.” Emile said with a hard smile. A lost, vulnerable Nora was a heart wrenching horror he would happily never experience again. A cheated wife would be a fight, one he very likely to win. Then he could have avoided Pella’s anger, the fear of something terrible happening to Nora, and come out the hero. Instead he was having his ankles nibbled by mosquitoes, Nora’s nose was sunburned, and Pella’s anger had been fueled by his mouth.

But it was hard to worry about problems that weren’t present when she was petting and cuddling. Tell him all about her day. Defending the monkeys in her gentle way. He smiled while she thought, and looked harder for the cure for her sore face before it got worse. ”They live all over the islands. You’ll find another troop eventually.” He promised before leading her the aloe vera plant. Glad that she agreed so easily to let him mend the little hurt.

”Yeah,” Emile chuckled as he scraped up some of the gel for her to put on her face. ”Feels nice though. It’s really good for you skin.” It was good for other things too, he remembered. Face twisting up as he plucked a nearly forgotten memory. His sister showing him how to get at the flesh inside of the leaves. ”Tummy aches, too. You can boil the leaves in juice to help with stomach problems.” That was right. With pomegranate for flavor. Or chopped up in banana cream pies.

Shaking the memory away he let her giggle over the cool feel it left on her nose. Which was tinted slightly by the fresh gel. Her amusement so endearing it flared in his chest. He loved her so much already! If she had been running away or hurt or taken… She let him take the anxiety out with a kiss. Softly stroking his arm in comfort. ”I’m alright. I was just worried.” He deflected. They always fought. That was just Pella’s way.

”Oh?” A balloon of cheerfulness brightened Emile’s mood. Aramis was a great brother, but he wasn’t really the sort that gave out gifts for any occasion. In fact it had taken Pella pouting to make Emile understand the idea at all. Winsol, birthdays, and accomplishment she made note of. A present would almost always make her less vicious. Or at least more likely to sneak into his room when the rest of the house was asleep. No one gave Emile gifts though. ”Really? For me?” Knuckling the wetness from her nose into his cheek he peeked down at the rectangle she tapped him with. It had a nice scent that was fresh and earthy. Strong enough that he could smell it through the wrapper.

Because it was soap, he realized with a grin. She really had enjoyed the bath then. ”This is wonderful.” Catching both her hand and the bar he turned his nose to the paper covering. Sea salt, sage, and something a bit stronger that reminded him lunch was well passed by. ”Yes, it’s really good. Thank you.” He told her softly, pressing a kiss to her wrist before he let her go. Would she like it when he smelled like the soap she had taken the time to choose just for him?

”That’s nice. There are a lot of flowers around the cove.” He slipped in when she let the conversation lull for a breath. Taking her hand in his he lead the way back to the tree marker. Walking slowly as the jungle made soothing sounds around them. She told him about the soap making process. At least what she remembered of it. And about the combinations she wanted to try. When she had finally run out of things to say about soap- for the moment- he asked, ”Did you get yourself enough clothes? Where you finished shopping?” 

Nora Dupuis

Tiger Eye Birthright
  • witch

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    24 Posts    992 marks
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 04:23:34 AM »

"I'm sorry." Nora fretted as she soothed. Fingers kneading at his joints. Wrist, elbow, shoulder. "I'll get better." She promised. A few more trips and she would have the way down pat. No need for him to have to worry or hunt her down. No need to fight with Pella either, at least not about her. Nora felt extra heartsick at causing more strife between Emile and his first wife.

A gift might make it better. Or at least make up for some of the trouble she caused. Grinning, Nora nodded. "Yes for you!" He seemed happier already, cheered by a present he hadn't even opened. Nora giggled as he caught her hand, nose to the wrapper and lips to her wrist as he examined it. "You're welcome." Wonderful he called it. Nora was glad, slipping the bar into her pocket when he let go. She would put it in the shower for him.

And then she realized she should have gotten two! One for the bathtub as well. All the more reason to learn the right way back and forth, she decided, fingers linking with his as they walked back to the trail. Nora catching him up on all he'd missed and all she had learned in their absence. Eyes looking for markers and monkeys as they went. She found neither.

"I did. I was. Thank you so much." A tidy stack of clothing just for her. It felt strange and weighed heavily in her cabinet. Nora had only ever owned her Jewel and its setting. The one thing never to be shared. When she died, her Jewel would go back to the Darkness and her setting would be destroyed. She would have to remember to tell Emile that. But not just then, because they had found the tree.

"See. Here is where I went east!" Nora informed him, pointing back north the way the had come, frustration blown over her lips. "Just like Pella said." She turned a pout on Emile. "Did I go too east?" She asked him, still clutching his hand. She wouldn't let go unless she had to. Ever. It just felt right to hold on.

Emile Dupuis

Blood Opal to Red
  • Warlord Prince

King of Pearls
    Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    28 Posts    1176 marks
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »
”You can show me when we get home. If you want.” Emile said smoothly. Wondering if she would agree, or if she would realize he was testing more of her boundaries. So far he had absolutely no luck in tempting her to anything remotely arousing. Even his fondling felt altogether less sensual when she just batted her lashes as if cupping a breast were as natural as holding hands. It was only a little frustrating, that pureness that only made him want her more. Mostly because he knew he had Pella to let that tension out on if he was feeling particularly virile.

Slowing his steps so her shorter legs could keep up Emile rubbed his thumb across the back of her hand while they went. She chatted at him about a dozen things while he probed them back in the right direction. Wiping the tree clean of the psychic impression he had left before turning down to Nora with a smile. That quickly turned into a small chuckle. ”Not quite, whale-bait. That,” He told her, finger pointing in the direction they had come, ”is north. This is east.” Kissing her forehead he tugged her over to the tree’s base where a tall stack of marking stones sat.

From the group he picked the biggest one he could find. And from his cabinet a hunting knife. Crouching down he kissed their linked fingers then started carving on the rock. Scratching a heart into the stone almost half an inch deep. Craft woven into his hand to help push the steel blade into the stone. It made a horrible noise as he did, but didn’t take long to finish. Vanishing his knife again he set the stone back in place on the pile. ”Try to remember, that once you’re at the tree, the point of the heart is the west. Which is  opposite of east.”

A compass for Winsol, he thought, grinning at her over the rounds of his cheek. ”Let’s hurry home so Pella can have her things from your cabinet. I cooked a bunch of oysters earlier, but we can sneak off to fish.” A few hours in their seal skins would help them forget the snag in their afternoon. If they asked nicely Pella might join them too. Emile couldn’t remember the last time she had shifted. ”I should cook dinner for everyone. To make up to Pella for thinking she sold you off.”

Nora Dupuis

Tiger Eye Birthright
  • witch

Ile de Paon Kaeleer
    24 Posts    992 marks
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 04:36:54 AM »

Nora agreed cheerfully. Happy to show him the things she acquired at the market. Things that were just for her. And a few that she'd picked to share. Baubles for the house, a pretty blanket. More soap and replacements for the oils and lotions she'd used up in her first bath.

She thoroughly enjoyed their time together. While she liked the others in the house, and was content when they were all together, Nora liked being alone with Emile the most. Especially in the sea. But this was almost as good. They could talk with no one else around to judge anything they said. Comfortable because Emile had proven quick to forgive when she said stupid things. Or made mistakes.

Like the one she had made at the tree. Laughing, not unkindly, Emile showed her where she had gone wrong. North instead of east. "Oh." Nora frowned, eyes squinting as she looked toward the sun. Her internal compass at odds with Emile's directions. Before she could question him more he was kissing her forehead and pulling her over roots.

"What are you doing?" Nora asked, fingers wiggling under his lips. Then wiggling because they were empty. Emile hefting a rock and his hunting knife. Crouching beside him, Nora covered her ears and watched him drag the blade through the stone. The sound made her jaw ache, even through the protective barrier of her ears. While it felt like an eternity it, it didn't take long for him to carve a heart into the face of the rock.

"Pretty." She cooed, half reaching for it as Emile put it back. A gift for her that was not for taking, he explained its purpose, making her cheeks pink beneath their sunburn. "What if someone moves it?" She asked, knowing she would pick up just such a rock if she ever came across one. Standing, she slipped her hand back in his and followed him east. Which still felt like north.

"Oh yes, lets!" Bouncing in excitement at his side, Nora nearly took the lead. While she was not a terrible fisher with a pole, she was a great one as a seal, and Nora knew that was the kind of fishing Emile meant. He didn't seem to get much enjoyment out of the sitting kind. Happily on the right path now, Nora pointed out markers when she spotted them, just to prove she could.

East, she told her inner compass. This is east. But her inner compass did not believe her. Laughing, Nora picked a flower off a low hanging branch. "Silly Emile. You can't sell people." She teased. The very idea! Beach spotted, Nora dared him to a race, dancing over wet roots to get to the sand. There she pulled her dress over her head and vanished it along with the flower as she went. Seal diving deep after a burst of painful craft and writhing.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open for over a year, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

WINTER - AW102

The seasons will change on 08/19.

Recent Topics

Bedtime Accusations by Arkyn Wildling
[Today at 02:57:45 PM]

Stoneheart, Eira by Jenn
[Today at 12:46:04 PM]

There is this thing by Catriona Blackthorn
[Today at 11:34:32 AM]

Testing boundaries by Iskra Graves
[Today at 04:18:44 AM]

Our Bodies Safe to Shore by Roan Bélanger
[July 20, 2019, 07:29:55 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Second
Eunuch | Open Jewels | Paon
Hand to the Mother Priestess

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner