Rose to Purple Dusk
  • witch
  • Played By: dergon

Secret Bear Sister
    Glacia Kaeleer
    14 Posts    536 marks
Re: A boy and a bear
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 07:52:30 PM »

"I do though." Idony argued. She had done this to him. Even if the bear was not always hers to control. Or she couldn't always control herself as they bear. Idony had done this. To someone sweet and caring. A peoples healer. Someone they needed to survive. She had done this to him and he had healed her afterward. "Really, I do."

She just wasn't a healer. The task seemed huge, even if Geirr spoke of it as if it were small. They settled on the bed together. Towel draped awkwardly around his body to protect his blankets. Idony helped tuck it in. Helped warm the room too with a thin layer of craft. "Cauterize, like burn?" Eyes wide as she asked, looking up to find that for once she wasn't the one grinning. She didn't know how he could with a wound that looked like that. But the very fact that he could made her feel all the more guilty.

And like kissing him. He really was a gentle, sweet soul. Healer boy. Very fitting with his licorice hanging from his mouth. Idony tapped the end and made it bob. "I'm still sorry." She told him with a smile. Cleansing solution gripped tight in one hand. Courage held in with a fist in the other. "Okay. I can do that." She could. It was simple. Just pour the bottle onto his side, palm sliding up and down his spine in sympathy as he groaned around his licorice.

"Sorry, sorry." She chanted as it fizzed up and fell away. Left behind was a wound that looked a sight less gruesome. "Is it going to scar?" She asked when it was over, thumb brushing runaway liquid toward the towel. She helped him apply the bandage, and then wrapped his body. This she had done before. Quick first aid before a healer could come. Or wounds rewrapped for hunters too stupid for their own good.

Around and around his body. Halfway hugging him to wrap the bandage. "Mmm." Eyebrows knotting, Idony tried to think of a way to explain it. "Among my people the bear is a curse. And there is good reason for it." Very good reason for it. "I don't think I would have cared, even if I had known you. Not as the bear. She doesn't have friends or family. Just instinct and cunning." Idony wasn't sure if it was like that for all the others, but her teacher had warned her she would be dangerous even to her loved ones.

"I love my bear. But... we are not the same." She looked up at him, waiting for judgment. She didn't know how it was with these seal shifters, but she knew what it was like for her brothers moon warriors. Knew they would scorn her for her truths. "It's hard to explain."

Boy Geirr

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Warlord Healer
  • Played By: Jones

Glacia Kaeleer
    14 Posts    569 marks
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
”Yes a burn. Very risky business if you’re not trained to tell how deep is helpful. Burn too far in and you could do more damage than good.” He warned casually. Smile held in place as she shot him through the heart with the biggest eyes he had ever seen. There was a second where the room was purposefully quiet. Geirr wasn’t sure if he should fill the silence with more assurances or if the quiet was actually a moment of waiting. Something he didn’t have words for passed between them, but only that. Idony did nothing except look, and he said none of the words on the tip of his tongue.

If it was a success or a failure he didn’t know. Smile turning to a soft chuckle he gripped the teased candy with his teeth so it didn’t wag out of his mouth. Her fresh apology accepted with a conceding shake of the head before he started in on the process itself. Walking her through as best as he could beforehand. Idony managed just fine. Her apologies softly dismissed with pained laughter. ”S’okay.” The soft hand traveling his back a comforting place to focus.

Sucking air through his tight lips he looked down at the portion of the scratches he could see. ”Be an interesting story to tell. Swiped by a bear paw and survived. Proof written on my side.” He said as if she had given him a nice gift instead of a new scar. There were men in the rookery with much worse. No one shunned anyone else for being a little maimed. Especially not when they provided a limited commodity.

He asked about her bear rather than let her dwell on how bad of a scar it would be. Because he was sure it would be a very noticeable one, even if he took the time to treat it with salves. It didn’t bother Geirr any so he didn’t want it to bother Idony. What did bother him was the hard opinion her people had for her shifting. ”They’re not all bear shifters then? There are Moidyn Varrey that live in human communities like that. We were in the city a long while when we first came to Glacia even. There’s always a rookery to turn to, though. I’m sorry you dont’ have… whatever sort of families bears live in.” He really was. Nothing haunted Geirr more than the fear of being alone.

Leaning in again he tried to make it easy for her to wrap the bandage around his middle. Pink cheeks turned away as she nearly took over his lap to wind it securely in place. ”Thank you.” He said as she fastened it off. ”Frightening, but very fascinating. Do you- does she answer psychic threads? Is there any way to know a bear is more than just a bear?” The question was specific because he was specifically worrying for Idony. None of the villagers were skilled hunters capable of taking on a bear on purpose. But he could tell them to be extra wary of the white bears at the very least. It would be a shame for such a nice woman to get hurt when she had no control over what happened during her shift.

Eyes meeting over his shoulder he nodded in sympathy. ”Some things can’t be translated with words. I’ll just hope to keep far away from your furry self in future. Though this you is very nice.” Clapping his hands he stood to snatch a small weaving set from the bedside table. ”And I want very much for every part of you to heal properly. So I’ll start on this web. How are your fingertips feeling? Is there a way you can stay the night so I can keep an eye on the mending? I’ll sleep in gran’s room she won’t be back from lord Walleye’s until tomorrow afternoon.” What the old woman was doing with the old man was something he purposefully refused to think about.

Idony Moon-sister

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • witch

Secret Bear Sister
    Glacia Kaeleer
    14 Posts    536 marks
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 05:08:43 AM »

"Men have very strange ideas about scars." Idony smiled, not quite able to reach her laughter. She was still a little horrified at the thought of Geirr burning his flesh in order to stop the bleeding. His easy acceptance of it helped ease some of her guilt, however. And that she got to help heal the wound she'd made.

"No." Now she did laugh. "I've only met one other." The idea of her brother and his men trying to be bear was amusing. They were too much a pack to be anything else. Shrugging at his worries, Idony tried to explain better. "Wild bears live alone too. Besides, I have family, even if they are not bears." And the tribe. The secret between them did not detract from the love and care, just put it in danger.

Most things in life were in danger of ending, anyway.

Fastening off the bandage, Idony nodded her welcome. Shoulder throbbing from all the reaching. She rubbed her thighs rather than clutch her arm. Shrug stiff and lopsided. "I don't know, actually. No one has ever aimed a thread at my bear." Idony tapped the floor with her toes as she thought about it. "No. I don't think so. Unless you are also a bear." She had known without knowing that her teacher had been the same as she.

How or what she hadn't discoverer until after he had lead her through her first shift.

Idony looked up at him, Geirr's expression much too sympathetic for someone she had clawed half to death. It made her smile, and his compliment made her blush. "That sounds like a very good plan. The other isbyr are just as dangerous, if not more so." Idony didn't need to hunt to survive. She had the tribe and her brother to make sure she was fed. Wild isbyr were not so lucky. Giggling at his exuberance, she scooted farther back on the bed and crossed her legs over each other.

"The fingers are fine, I think. My shoulder does ache something awful though." Geirr gathered supplies and prepared the frame while Idony watched. Peppering her with questions and information as he did so. Pliant to his directions, she dug her thumbnail into a seam on her buckskin pants and tried to think if anyone would miss her if she didn't return home. And if she felt comfortable staying in the enemy camp.

Knowing she felt comfortable staying with Geirr.

"I can probably get away with one night before someone gets curious enough to investigate." She watched him make the web with undisguised curiosity. Surprised at how like and yet unlike weaving fabric it was. "Will you make yourself one for your side?" She asked him, summoning her plate over to finish what was left on it.

"What is your gran doing at lord Walleye's?" Idony asked before bursting into laughter heartbeat later for even having to. "Nevermind! Nevermind!" Mouth covered to keep food from spilling out while she got herself under control. Idony was still chuckling when she undid a couple of buttons and slid her shirt from her shoulder so Geirr could apply the web.

"Thank you." She told him solemnly, glancing from her shoulder to his face.

Boy Geirr

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Warlord Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    14 Posts    569 marks
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 06:25:59 PM »
Geirr could feel his eyebrows smooshing together before he could stop them. Concern dipping between the laughter to the heart of her words. ”As long as you don’t feel alone,” He told them both in his best comforting tone. Which was rather well practiced since he was a healer who had to gently break bad news to patients and their families on occasion. If being a bear was a curse to her people, then it was probably better she be the only one. ”Do- if it’s not too personal a question- do you think you’ll outlive them? I mean… I’ll live a lot longer than most of the blood. Is why I wonder.” Having family now was good. But would she have them in two centuries?

”Are you alright?” He asked as she gave him a one armed shrug. Eyes tracking to the unseen wound under her shirt while she told him there was little way to recognize her in her fur. When she finished he promised to warn off his people as best as he could. Hopefully protecting them all in the process. She liked what he said. Smile small and cheerful. Cheeks rosy. Which was a sure sign that she hadn’t lost a dangerous amount of blood. One less worry to pander to. ”Yes, they gave us very thorough warnings while we were in the city. About bears, and walrus, and seals. Sharp teeth all around,” He told her, with his own flashing in amusement.

The advice had clearly been correct. In the cove of their birth, there had been little to fear on land or in the water. Generations grown lazy before the fishmen came. Encroaching so slowly that they never saw the attack coming. It had seemed for so long as if they could coexist. Thoughts that he would not be sharing with Idony, no matter how much he liked her at present. She was funny, and witty, and cheerful. He trusted her a very solid degree. But the tribe were not friends or fans of the village. They were her friends and family though so telling stories with glaring similarities to current situations would just be stupid.

Instead the subject shifted to the care of her wound. ”I’ll get you something for the pain then.” That was not on the nightstand with the loom. A lick of craft wiggled a pillbox from the dresser. Laying it softly in her lap while he tried to get comfortable on the bed. Legs hanging over the end. Frame in his lap. It was not the same sort of work a black widow performed. His webs were sloppy, often lopsided, tightly woven together until they seemed more like loose gauze than webs at all. Getting situated was not as easy as normal with the stitch of pain in his side.

”One night should be enough to have you back in full form.” Then she would go back to her tribe. Ah well. They were young, with centuries left to live. Maybe they would have another run in some day. Preferably a much less bloody one. Geirr unwound the spool of spidersilk with careful dedication. Precious, expensive, and impossibly delicate. He could not spin his own, so had to trade for it with his limited skillset. ”For this little nick? Nah.” He said with a lopsided grin, ”Spidersilk is pricey and hard to get. I only use it when it’s really necessary. This is mostly skin deep. You have nerve pathways that need to reform. The longer that takes the less feeling you might get back, so a web is a must to make sure you heal properly.”

Eyes flicking between his work and the woman he tried not to laugh on her food as she asked about the old woman. ”Yes. Please don’t make me even imagine what they’re up to.” When they were both done tittering at gran’s expense he told her lightly, ”She’s not actually my gran. None of my family survived. When we started building houses I was treating her for pneumonia, so somehow I just ended up with a permanent room.” The story seemed funny to him now. Easy to laugh over when he didn’t consider where he would have ended up otherwise. Families divvying up their housing, while he had none. No one in particular taking a solid interest in a boy old enough to be responsible for himself.

”How does that feel?” He asked as he laid the web in place. Doing his best not to trace the collar of her shirt to conspicuously or let his hands linger overlong. She had warm skin. Warm to the touch and warm colored. ”You’re welcome. Oh!” Finding the pillbox he smacked the heel of his hand to his forehead. ”I forgot. So sorry. One of these will help with the pain. I can get you something to help you sleep or relax if you need too. I know it must be strange to sleep so far from home.”

Pulling back a hand that had somehow found her knee he laughed forcefully. ”Alright. I should probably go. Are you alright? Have everything you need?”

Idony Moon-sister

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • witch

Secret Bear Sister
    Glacia Kaeleer
    14 Posts    536 marks
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »

"Not ever in my life." She promised him.  Even with her secret, Idony didn't feel separated from her people. His care noted and appreciated. She liked the way he said it. Something in his voice changing the tone and pitch. Rocking in her seat, Idony considered his question. "I haven't yet." Smile one sided like her shrug. She didn't want to give away her brother's secrets, even if she'd turned cavalier with her own.

Just because Geirr didn't think her bear was a curse was no reason to go giving up her brother's secret weapon.

"Seals!" Idony laughed. "Are they a worry though, or are they friends? I've only seen other isbyr from a distance, and I think it would be a fight if it were closer." One day she planned on testing her theory, but first she wanted to be better as a bear. Stronger. Faster. Less likely to get mauled if she proved right.

With his tools, Geirr summoned a small tin box. This landed in Idony's lap instead of his, pills rattling inside. Rather than open it, she held it loosely in her palm and watched transfixed as he created a web. It reminded her of a spiders web and woven blanket. Woven round and across and back and forth until she was dizzy from following it. "We should be safe from fussy brothers then." She joked. Syral gave her plenty of freedom, but he was still her older brother and chief. Her safety was his duty on both counts.

"Will you do anything else for it? A bit of a wash and a bandage doesn't seem like much care." Idony needed her fingers for her work, but if her simple wound hurt, she couldn't imagine what sort of pain Geirr was in. How he could laugh with her about old lovers, or even be willing to invite her into his house and heal her well deserved would with something expensive and precious. She would have to find a way to repay him.

"I think that makes her your actual gran." Smile cheeky despite the gravity of the topic. His whole family gone. Idony couldn't imagine it. "Are you sure you're not lonely?" She asked him quietly while undoing her buttons and exposing her wound. "Feels good. Kind of... wet, actually." Gooseflesh radiating out from where the web lay. Idony gave a melodramatic shudder, laughing and opening her hand so he could have the pillbox.

"I'll take one if you do." She challenged, eyes sliding from his face to the hand he pulled away from her knee. She hadn't fully realized it had been there until he took it away. She laughed with him and shook her head. "I'm fine, I promise. I feel bad for kicking you out of your room and running you out of spidersilk after trying to eat you though." He was so ridiculously sweet. "I won't make a mess. Cross my heart." An x inscribed over her chest with one finger, Idony winked.

It felt too early for sleep, but once she curled up beneath the blankets, it claimed her quickly. And deeply. All through the dark into the light of day. It crept beneath a curtain and across the room to spear her in the eye. Groaning, Idony rolled onto her back and rubbed her eyes, web falling away from her shoulder with the movement. Slipping it into her pocket, she cleaned herself up in the bathroom before poking her head out the door that lead to the house.

"Geirr?" She called softly, afraid to disturb anyone.

Boy Geirr

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Warlord Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    14 Posts    569 marks
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »
”Have you ever seen a seal’s teeth?” Geirr asked in answer. ”They’re generally disinterested, but definitely dangerous. Not our friends either, since we’re outsiders to their rookery.” It was not a complicated social setup. There were firm rules, though, which were essential to the peaceful survival of any community. If he walked among seals as man or creature, they would not bat an eye. Approaching or startling them, however, could result in a nasty bite.

Neither of them were eager to discuss the aggressive tendencies of wild animals. Geirr had a web to weave. Which seemed to be entertainment enough for Idony. They spoke casually as he worked. Picking up new clues about the family she promised never made her feel lonely. Fussy brothers, he wondered if he would have fussed over Sans. Or if she would have fussed over him. Licking the memory of salt water and zinc from his lips he asked, ”Have a lot of those then?”

He wasn’t a fighter by any means. Since she didn’t seem worried, he didn’t worry either. Idony was a happy soul with a subtle mein of cleverness. If she needed his defending she would ask. And he would find the help to see it done.

”Don’t worry, I’m not the sort to put my own health second. Can’t heal if I’m distracted or weak.” He reassured her, ”My brews and healing craft are stronger than they seem, too. Won’t feel it by tomorrow, and it’ll be nothing but a scar in a few days.” Smile flashing brightly at her concern he finished up the web over the course of another story about family. Or almost family. Chuckling he conceded with a firm nod. ”Close enough to count anyway.”

Home more often than her actual grandson these days. Not that Geirr blamed any male for working on his Full Moon hopes early. You had to get out among the people if you wanted them to trust you. His caste gave him an almost unfair advantage. While he added extra beads of power to the web she worked a few buttons open. Exposing the base of her neck, clavicle, a section of her sternum, and the round of her shoulder. Question making him smile, ”A little confused, maybe a bit misunderstood, very underestimated.” He told her without a hint of bitterness in the words. Just stark amusement/ ”Not lonely, though.”

”Good.” He breathed over the web to warm her skin as it prickled under the sensation. It did have an almost liquid feel. Sticky but not tacky. Hard to discribe. ”When the Craft is all absorbed it’s going to just fall off.” He told her before spotting her fingers curled around the box. It filled him with guilt. She was hurting while he made silly jokes and small talk. Idony made giving her the medicine simple. A fair ulitmatum that he couldn’t blame her for requiring. The pill could have done anything. Could have put her in a very vulnerable position. By asking him to take one too she could be considerate and safe. ”Sure thing.”

They tasted like chalk. Compressed poweder was the best way to get the ingredients into the blood stream quickly. And was good for measuring out dosage too. Prying the box open he held it between them with one hand and plucked a pill out with the other. Swallowing with a sour pucker of his lips Geirr leaned across Idony to put the box on the nightstand. Craft down to the very last reserves so that he couldn’t skitter it back across to the dresser. Resting close he studied her face a moment. Found his hand getting too familiar and excused himself for the night. Dinnerware picked up from the floor to be dropped in the sink he shook his head at her. ”You don’t need to feel bad. I’m happy to have you here, even if it took nearly being eaten.” He teased.

Laughter made him linger by the doorway as she swore not to make a mess. ”I’m not worried.” She seemed by all intents to be a sweet woman. Besides, his room was clean because he didn’t mind cleaning. If she made a mess he would pick it up. But that was for the next day. Which started early after a few hours of deep sleep. Hungry stomach complaining over his half finished supper. There was more fish in the cold box. Gull eggs too. And strips of uncooked caribou strips that gran served for breakfast all of the time. Having watched her do it he thought it couldn’t be that challenging a task.

So it was with a spatula in hand Idony found him when she woke. Frantically trying to pry bacon from the bottom of an iron pan before it was completely ruined. Shirtless and scowling at the food he hopped from one foot to the other. ”Morning. Stay back. The grease is angry.” And licks of flame tried to reach at him from out of the wood burning stove’s belly. "Maybe I put too much wood?"

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open for over a year, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

WINTER - AW102

The seasons will change on 08/19.

Recent Topics

Bedtime Accusations by Arkyn Wildling
[Today at 02:57:45 PM]

Stoneheart, Eira by Jenn
[Today at 12:46:04 PM]

There is this thing by Catriona Blackthorn
[Today at 11:34:32 AM]

Testing boundaries by Iskra Graves
[Today at 04:18:44 AM]

Our Bodies Safe to Shore by Roan Bélanger
[July 20, 2019, 07:29:55 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Second
Eunuch | Open Jewels | Paon
Hand to the Mother Priestess

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner