Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer
  • Played By: dergon

Glacia Kaeleer
    110 Posts    657 marks
Spies
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:11:01 AM »

She stared, horrified by what she was seeing. Peregrine’s tall body framed by her neighbor’s gate. His toes solidly planted over the threshold, hands and lips moving in obvious conversation. Her neighbor, the widower as she thought of him, was doing much the same, even if his back was a little too stiff for comfort. Kirsi gaped, shopping held in her hands so they would see she did regular things and be less curious when she did not.

Suspicious, Kirsi vanished her things and rushed down the lane toward the pair. Without making eye contact she muttered a hello and excuse us to the widower before hooking her fingers around Peregrine’s arm an pulling. Hand a vice she leaned all her weight into it, and gave him a good shove with her Red to help speed things along. Dragging him toward her own yard, which is where he should have waited.

”What are you doing?” She hissed at him from the side of her mouth, eyes focused on her own gate, as if once she got him through it everything else would disappear. No more Peregrine chatting with her nosy, intrusive neighbors as if they were friends. What had he told them? What would they think? Would someone tell Reric that Kirsi was harboring their runaway and turn the city’s eyes on her?

”They are not for talking to, Peregrine!” Speaking of them as if they were something other than people. To her they were. Each of them a danger. Kirsi let go of him in the yard and fumbled the front door open, storming inside and expecting him to follow. She turned at the end of the entry way and set hot eyes on him. Blue and wary. ”Would you get in here and close the door!” She couldn’t be seen shouting at him in the yard.

Would it look worse, her dragging him away? And worse still if he just vanished at her front door without coming in? She could feel it swallowing her. Like a growing pool or water it lapped at her ankles and then knees. Wetting her hips and chilling her ribs. Panic fit to drown her until she was nothing more than the raving madwoman he always accused her of being.

She should have stayed in her cave. The city was making her crazy. Too big. Too small. Too many people all at once.

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord
  • Played By: Jones

Traveling Kaeleer
    138 Posts    0 marks
Re: Spies
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »

Peregrine could feel her stabbing eye daggers in his back. Spine prickling with the approach of her annoyance. He stood up straighter. Shooting an apologetic grin to the neighbor. A sturdy sort of fellow with a beard and one of those clever mustaches that twirled at the ends. It almost made him jealous. ”Uh oh, looks like the lady’s spotted me.” They both chuckled.

Friends now, since Peregrine had done what Kirsi had not. Given a nice, thorough introduction. Even if half of it was lies. That didn’t matter. He just needed to older man to feel like they could relate. To know who to seek out of it anything hinky ever went down at the quaint house next door. Besides, the bulk of it was true, there were just a few embellishments here and there.

”Just saying hello.” He turned his smile to Kirsi as she dragged him away. Giving the widower one last little wave. Since he thought Peregrine was an often away, sometimes-lover of his new neighbor he could only chuckle at their retreating figures. Peregrine batted his lashes at Kirsi with slow deliberation.

Over sensitive chit. ”And why not? If you hole up in your house without meeting any of them they’ll be more suspicious instead of less.” He didn’t know why it mattered. Why she worried so much about being inconspicuous. And he was sure she would never care enough to tell him. Hovering to the side of her landing web he stood in the yard while she whipped into the house. Turning on him with a hiss to demand he do the same.

”Stop being so pissy.” He told her firmly before following her in. The weight of her emotions filled the room. Pressing down on his conscious and making him sigh with guilt he knew he didn’t deserve to feel. ”Kitten, you’re overreacting. You need to calm down.” Stepping closer her lifted her chin, wondering if he would look into her eyes and see all the raging panic and doubt he could taste in the air.

He didn’t want to coddle her, or be the hero in some weird story about feral women and rogues. Peregrine had his own shit to deal with. But the most urgent of those issues was finding Rias. And for that he needed Kirsi. As whole, sane, and physical well as he could manage.

Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    110 Posts    657 marks
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »

”Why?” The word a moan, as if his greetings were daggers in her back. Just saying hello! They were her neighbors to be making talk with. And Kirsi had decided not to make talk with them. Or as little as possible. It did her no good, of course. They all came by when she was outside in the yard ‘just to say hello’. ”Stop that!” He was insane. Kirsi strangled his arm she looked away from his fluttering lashes.

”I have met all of them! At least twice and again any time I step outside.” She explained to him vehemently. She was not defending herself, Kirsi was sure. She was just explaining. Why was he talking to them? Why did it matter if she did? She was here to heal their sick and make a place for her boy. Kirsi didn’t know how to be part of a community. Not anymore. And she wanted to even less. She knew. She knew what it was like. They pressed you low into the dirt and used you. Afraid of your Jewels.

”I’m not pissy!” It echoed in the house, which was still mostly empty. Nothing on the walls. Just the bare table with its two chairs. Curtains she’d bought cheap and regretted because they were ugly. Sighing, Kirsi scrubbed her face and ignored the echo of her voice. At least he came in. Came in and came close. Rough hands along her jaw. She turned from it before he could feel the hollow spot beneath the skin. Where had that piece of bone gone, she wondered sometimes. Deeper in her body, or out of it?

”I’m alright. I promise. I’m sorry.” Kirsi closed her eyes against him. She couldn’t do it. Not with him looking at her like that. Or at all. All these people always looking at her. ”There’s just so many of them. So, so many.” Shut up! Just shut up! Trembling, Kirsi forced her fingers to let go of the hem of his coat, which she’d begun clinging to without realizing. He was going to get angry again and scorch her new house if she didn’t just shut up.

He didn’t care. He just wanted her to stop. She’d scare the neighbors. Worse, she’d scare Rias. And Kirsi didn’t want to know what he would do if she did that. Knew what she would do if the reverse were to pass. Licking her lips, Kirsi brushed her fingers over her nose and tried to breathe. To relax. To remember she was just the vessel. A vessel well crafted, she could live through a few nosy neighbors and a pressing city for Rias.

”I’ve had a web. But I don’t think its about Rias. He’s not in it anyway.” She hoped he wasn’t in it. A sea of blood and queens.

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord

Traveling Kaeleer
    138 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:35:32 AM »

Peregrine laughed at her reactions. All that unnecessary stress. Clearly she wasn’t making use of the reinforcements he had put on her bed joins. Something about that pleased him as much as it made him worry. He didn’t bother arguing with her though. Not outside for the world to see.

”Alright, but I had not met them.” He told her in the same low voice she used. Less venom in his tone and more teeth in his smile. These were the people that his boy would be around. Someday. Eventually. Soon. He had a right to know them. To make sure they were a decent sort.

Why did it matter if he talked to them? He wasn’t going to make Kirsi do it. She didn’t seem satisfied with his mood or his answers though. Voice bouncing off the walls as she denied his teasing. Holding up his hands he shrugged, ”If you say so.” She was definitely pissy.

He tried to smooth his thumb over her jaw but she pulled away. More lies on her tongue. ”I’m not blind, Kitten, I can see you’re having a hard time.” Of course she wouldn’t tell him so. She couldn’t even look him in the eye. Or look at him at all. Eyes shutting him out. ”Of who? The neighbors?” He asked, trying to puzzle out what it was she was trying to tell him.

With a sigh he watched her retreat into her shell again. You could take the girl out of the cave but you couldn’t make her less a hermit could you? Peregrine ran his hands through his hair while she stood there doing nothing. On the verge of hyperventilating he suspected. Anxiety, that was the emotion roiling behind her eyes. ”You can tell me about the web in a bit. Come on, let’s make tea.” That might help settle her. His mother always made tea when one of them was unsettled or sick. Probably just because she liked to take out the fancy kettle he had brought her from Dhemlan Terreille.

In the small kitchen he pushed Kirsi towards a chair. Studying her stove for a moment as if something evil might explode out of the oven and attack. ”You know what, nevermind.” He decided, ”Where’s the kettle? I’ll just use a warming spell.” Did she have a teapot even? He hadn’t thought to bring one himself.

Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    110 Posts    657 marks
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »

”I’m not having a hard time.” Was it that obvious? Kirsi didn’t want it to be. For him or anyone to see. To know. She could have forgiven Peregrine the knowledge, except he would use it against her to take Rias. The idea of strangers seeing her as weak was worse because they would see her as prey. They would all see her as prey.

”Yes. I asked for a quiet neighborhood.” She had told that damn sjef she wanted quiet! Not a single nose has slipped past a door or eye had peeked from a curtain when she’d been shown the house. Now they wouldn’t leave her alone. And Peregrine was making nice with them too. They probably reported everything she did to the sjef. And next it would be Peregrine getting reports.

He wouldn’t even accept her change of subject. Steering her into the kitchen and pressing her into one of the chairs. Kirsi let him. She’d probably start rambling about the damn web too. Defeated, she laid her arms out on the table and slumped into them. Tea. He wanted to make tea. Face turning, she watched him over the ledge of her arm, staring at her stove which was mostly new. She almost smiled.

”Oh.” Squinting, Kirsi sat back up and looked the kitchen over, trying to remember where she had put it. Cupboards looked through in her mind’s eye. ”In the stove. I don’t think I have tea, though.” Which reminded her of her groceries. Chair skidding against the floor, Kirsi stood and called them in, basket set on the table to be emptied.

She pulled everything out and worked around Peregrine to put it all away. It helped, to be busy, even if she was half watching to make sure he didn’t set her kitchen on fire. Hovering and looking over his shoulder. He took up too much room.

”There is a pie in the cold box. A meat one, I could put it in the oven if you’re hungry.” The neighbor had given it to her. An older woman with an aching back. Kirsi and spun her a web to help ease the tense muscles. Fingers brushing the edge of the stove, Kirsi tried to put the pieces of herself back together. To be a person. To be brave.

”What did you need to meet the neighbors for?” She questioned.

Peregrine Runner

Sapphire to Ebon-gray
  • Warlord

Traveling Kaeleer
    138 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »

With Kirsi at the table Peregrine opened a few of the cabinets she stared at. New house, not quite familiar. Her eyes and mind searched while his hands passed over a few of the pots and pans he had seen in her cave. Before he had looked into the third cabinet along the row she pointed him at the stove. Peregrine opened it with a nod, ”Yep, here it is.”

Pulling it free he ran water from the tap into its metal belly. Hip against the counter as he watched Kirsi shift around him to put her groceries away. One fist wrapped around the handle of her teapot he heated the water as quickly as it poured in. Craft and steam mingling over the spout. ”Don’t worry, I keep a few teabags handy.” Sometimes he liked a warm mug in the morning. And sometimes Kite need one when he’d had a bad day.

When the kettle was full and started to sing Peregrine brought it over to the table. A flick of craft popped two mugs from the shelf he had seen them in. They knocked tidely into place side by side in the middle of the table. He sat while Kirsi finished all her fidgeting. Eyeing him more than her task.

”Don’t go out of your way just for me. I’m not hungry, but you know… I can always eat.” There was always room for a few bites of whatever was handy. Filling each cup nearly to the brim he called in the heavy paper filters stuffed with dry tea leaves. They were an earthy, almost sweet blend from Hayll rather than the bitter flavored dark brew they grew in Dhemlan. When he dipped them into the mugs they turned the water dark and made the steam fragrant.

He set the kettle on the table, shield between hot metal and wood. Then he looked up at Kirsi with a grin, waving her back towards the chair. ”They’re going to wonder why I’m around, so why not? Plus I figured they’d be chatting your ears off so I went ahead and told them you’re shy. The old man said he would fill in the others, they’re going to give you some space.” That wasn’t the entire truth but it was most of it.

”I’m sure it’s a lot to adjust to. Living a dozen deep around people when you’ve been alone for a while.” Or if you were just the sort of person that needed a lot of privacy. He tried the tea but found it was too hot for a good sip. ”So. You said you had a new web. What was in it?”

Kirsi

Blood Opal to Red
  • Black Widow Healer

Glacia Kaeleer
    110 Posts    657 marks
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:39:39 AM »

Kirsi did not go out of her way. Not hungry enough herself to start the oven up. She did bring a tin of cookies with her. Strange things made with nuts and grains yet another neighbor had pressed on her, this time for no reason Kirsi could make sense of. She opened the tin beside the cups and sat, watching Peregrine make tea like an old mother hen. A smile ghosted across her lips.

”You’d make someone a very good hearth witch.” Strange man. Kirsi broke a cookie in half and bit one side neatly in two. There was fruit hidden in there too, she realized while she chewed, eyes widening as some sweet she couldn’t name broke open between her teeth. ”Shy.” She scoffed after swallowing. But thought made her realize it wasn’t too much of a deviation. And it was much kinder than terrified. Or crazy. ”Thanks.” Kirsi dipped the whole half of her cookie into the the tea. Maybe it was a biscuit. Or a travel ration.

Strange but not bad, Kirsi decided, still unsure if they were good. Shrugging over his words, Kirsi finished her cookie, dipping pieces of it in the hot tea, quickly so they didn’t disintegrate. Licking a wet crumb from her lip, she swallowed. ”I wasn’t alone, not wholly.” But she had control over when, usually. Very, very few were able to come as they pleased. Brow creasing, Kirsi hoped Trygrve didn’t show up in need next time. Foolish old man.

Wiping her hands off on a towel summoned from the counter, Kirsi took her time answering his question. Eyes on her task to make sure she hadn’t missed any soggy cookie or dry flour dust. The web floated behind her eyes, making her skin tight and uncomfortable.

”Queens.” She said softly, trying not to shudder. ”Queens and blood. A whole sea of it.” But no Rias, thank the Darkness. Kirsi could have wept for gladness at his not being within the silk, but the web had left her feeling shaken and dry. She’d had to make herself a brew to stop the sick twisting of her stomach and the hard pounding of her heart.

Letting out a shaky breath, Kirsi scrubbed her face with her now clean hands, trying to dispel the memory.

”I don’t know what it means. Nothing good, certainly.” And hopefully nothing to do with their boy. Hands cupping her cheeks, Kirsi looked at him over the round of her fingernails, seven white tips and one grey-black. ”You be careful out there when dealing with them.” She warned. Peregrine hadn’t been in the web either, but Kirsi knew he had dealings with queens. And she couldn’t afford to lose him.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open since 2017, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

FALL - AW103

The seasons will change on 11/20.

Recent Topics

The Nettle & The Needle by Nikodemus Vee
[September 27, 2020, 10:01:30 PM]

Home is an Empty Word by Min Sung
[September 27, 2020, 10:56:45 AM]

Fabrications by Kyung Yi
[September 26, 2020, 11:44:40 AM]

Transactions by The Darkness
[September 26, 2020, 06:51:50 AM]

Alesia Skye by The Darkness
[September 26, 2020, 06:50:25 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Second
Eunuch | Open Jewels | Paon
Hand to the Mother Priestess

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner