Irisviel Crag

Red to Gray
  • Black Widow Queen
  • Played By: dergon

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    69 Posts    761 marks
Weaver’s Knot
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »

How did this happen? Again? Another blade drinking queens blood. It had not tasted the dredges this time, but any was too much. Irisviel would have traded Ophelia for Magda a dozen times over. Sacrificed the young queen herself it meant getting a useful woman back. Instead she had a trouble maker in her halls. Resting. Well enough, Willowbanks had said.

Mother Night.

”Rhode!” Iris barked, short legs devouring the distance. Strong legs. Thick with runner’s muscle. Too impatient to spend any more time petting princely healers who were not her own. She needed to know what her next step should be. Why she had been caught unawares with this one. Perhaps she needed to employ an entire coven of web weavers.

She’d had another. But him she had sent elsewhere.

”Lady Forrest!” Just nearing the door now. Her skirts like fire around her legs. Angry hissing that Iris couldn’t give honest vent too. They were too jumpy anymore. Everyone flinching or falling headlong into their Jewels every time she cracked a snarl. Nostrils widening, pinching, as she tried to calm, mindful breathing some had nattered at her about.

It didn’t work.

Annoyed with herself as much as everything else, Irisviel locked shackles around her temper. The man was dead. The queen was alive. And she could guess as to why they had been so bold. But she needed to know more. And webs were often faster than the Kingdom. More reliable. It was harder to see the future there. Easier to find the past. And the broken. Breathing a little calmer, cheeks pink instead of scarlet, Iris knocked.

”A moment if you please, sister.” Strange Rhode. Woman spent as much time talking to herself as any other living person. But she was a sister of the hourglass. Which mattered more than it ought.

Rhode Forrest

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow
  • Little Terreille Kaeleer
    3 Posts    0 marks
Re: Weaver’s Knot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:12:01 PM »
’Iris’ ’Iris’ ’Iris’ Several voices chimed. None of them belonging to Rhode. None of them audible beyond the workings of her mind. Eyes widening the young Black Widow looked up from the frame where she worked. An old web, being reread for small hints. To be sure, sure that she had made the right decision.

In the air the Gray seethed through the house. Everyone was very tense. She didn’t know why. They didn’t like the queen that bled, and she hadn’t died. The baby Grayling’s petboy had saved her.

’Angry Iris. She wants answers, Rho.’ Said Dilan. His voice present, but his body unseen. In the hall she heard her voice called. There was no point in answering. Iris was coming. Marching along. It felt good, Rhode though, to stomp some of that frustration out. So she let the queen come.

Waited, door cracked open by Craft so that is gaped when the lady knocked. She rose slowly, not sure if she was supposed to. By her shoulder a withered old woman only she saw patted soft hands against her back. ’It’s your room!’ Mimi tried to logic. Not needing the question asked. They rarely did. They knew what she was thinking, but she spoke to them aloud out of habit.

”Yes, but it’s her house.” Rhode hissed through the side of her mouth. They didn’t like it, when she talked them. The always there ones. It made them nervous. And Iris looked worked up already.

A hand flapped towards a low chair. ”Of course, Lady Crag. Sit, sit. I’ve nothing but time for you.” Dewy eyed Satti made a noise from the corner. Some sort of guffaw. But he spared them any of his usually lurid comments.

Irisviel Crag

Red to Gray
  • Black Widow Queen

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    69 Posts    761 marks
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:44:47 PM »

The door gave way beneath her knuckles. Pausing, Irisviel drew her hand back, gaze drifting from her hand to the now exposed room. A fleeting frown of concern. Had she done that? No matter. No time. A half step inside when she heard whispering. A low hiss. Words not meant to be heard by her ears. Iris' tongue clicked against the back of her teeth.

No time for that either.

Not sure if she wanted to sit, Iris paced into the room, eyes sweeping the low chair offered to her. She hated sitting still. It was required, she knew, at times in order to be polite company. To be a queen, too. Stillness often disturbed them much more than any pacing ever would. Teeth clacking together, Iris shook her head. She wasn't here for games.

"No thank you. I've enough sitting today." Searching the room, always half expecting to find someone hiding. Around corners. Behind curtains. Smirking at herself, Iris did her best not to peek under the bed. Focusing instead on the frame just behind Rhode. Webs. Nothing but nasty tangles to Iris' eye. "Please sit back down, if you wish." No need for ceremony. Just answers.

"I'll assume you know what has happened." Posturing. Word play. Irisviel wished she could, for one day, lay it all aside. But it was ingrained now. Even when she meant to walk clear of it. There was no escaping her castes. She was always a queen, whether she cared to be or not. No peace. Not a moments of it. "What I want to know is how we were not prepared for it?" They knew now that the males were plotting.

Too late the first time. But they knew now! Magda had payed the price for pieces put together too late. Irisviel would never forgive herself for it.

"And what we can find out now that its happened." She flicked fingers at the tangled web. "Have you spun anything?"

Rhode Forrest

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow
    3 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:06:19 PM »
’Right to business then.’ Said Mimi, giving Rhode’s shoulder another squeeze that she saw from the corner of her eye but didn’t feel. It was hard to ignore them. And they didn’t like it.

But Rhode did her best. Eyes wide with the effort to stay focused on only Iris. ”Whatever suits you, then lady.” She didn’t mind the standing. There was never a time in her memory when someone wasn’t pacing around. She did sit herself back down though. Elbows propped on her knees, hands gripping one another as she listened.

”Yes.” Rhode answered. She knew. From his corner Satti hissed. Her eyes only flicked in his direction for a second. Maybe not even a whole one. Just a silencing look. It was distressing. Queen’s blood being spilled.

She was sorry it had to happen. These were clever terrorists, though. They knew how to mask themselves from Rhode’s webs. She saw only hints and teasers of a member or two. While she watched and anticipated her tactics changed. She honed in on the newest inductees. Men they didn’t know well yet. A plan unfolding in her mind. A plan she couldn’t share for risk of it being stopped.

Perhaps it was not her place to roll the dice. To take such liberties. The webs promised Lady Shore would only have been a little missed. She thought it was unavoidable. Benefits outweighing the risk. Better for Iris not to be given options that might weigh on her mind. Or a chance to say no. So Rhode had put her fingers through her webs of late. Made the decision herself. Death would be a fine punishment, she would wish she were dead if she were wrong anyway.

Turning overlarge eyes up at Iris she smiled lightly. Not a challenge. A friendly grin, between sisters. ”Because if we had been prepared we would have intervened.” Her expression didn’t fit the weight of her words. It was unconcerned with what trouble might fall on her head. Or that she had gambled Lady Shore’s life.

”They are careful. I cannot see their leaders or into their nest. The only way is to get someone inside. Before, we had no way. Now, we do.” Her room felt unnaturally quiet. No whispers of advice. Only tense silence while she gathered her words for a proper explanation. Her outer barriers opened so that Iris could read her sincerity. ”He wanted in, the one Darion killed today. They wanted him to prove his devotion to their ideals. With Lady Shore’s blood. I’m sorry she was hurt, but it was a risk worth taking... Death was on her heels anyway.”

That part was not read in a web. It had come from her friends. And they knew about such things, being dead themselves. ”Do you see lady? No one is sure what happened, other than a queen being injured. If you keep her hidden, they will think he did the dead. Succeeded in killing her as he tried. We hide his body, then put an illusion web to disguise someone you trust. Then we can get into their nest.” Not Aeon, she knew. He was not suitable for snooping out the cult’s latest hideout in such a delicate way. But once it was found he could take care of it just as he had the last one.

Irisviel Crag

Red to Gray
  • Black Widow Queen

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    69 Posts    761 marks
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

Iris looked too. Wondered what Rhode saw, because she saw nothing herself. An empty corner, dust motes floating through late afternoon sunlight. Just a stripe of it slipping in through the curtains. Bisecting the room. It called to her, the way it split things. Always the edges of things had haunted her. A land between. Apart.

A twisting place.

One day she would be lost it to. But not now. Not soon.

Speculative, Iris turned back to Rhode. Faced with a smile. She recognized this expression. Conspiratorial. Seen it before between friends. Unsure if she had ever smiled quite like that before. She had friends. Even shared secrets with them. But Irisviel doubted she had ever felt quite as free as that smile looked. At least not since she was a child.

She had gotten into plenty of mischief then. Usually dragging poor Josiah along with her.

She was too old for mischief now, however. The current circumstances too heavy for such frivolity. Iris frowned. The expression deepening until it cut creases into her face. Darkened by Rhode's explanation. Rhode had known? Known that a queen would be attacked and done nothing to act on the information. Iris took a half step forward, put off by such flippant disregard.

Nearly acted before Rhode could finish her explanation.

Iris stilled, turned, paced away. Back and forth at the end of the bed while Rhode talking. Thinking. Knuckles running over her chin. This was an ugly business, she decided, collapsing onto the edge of the bed. Rubbing her thighs with her hands, she tried to quiet the cacophony of her mind. To focus.

"Trust!" Who could she trust in these times? She had sent so many away because she was unsure if she could trust them. Too near to test them. Afraid of what she would find. Too loving to send one of hers into such a nest. It was different when they went in prepared. To kill rather than linger. Iris sighed, rubbing fingers over the pale lines of her eyebrows.

"I think I know such a one as will serve the purpose." Money, he'd answered. Irisviel had money. A whole territory's worth in her coffers now. And she could call in tithes and taxes and favors. Money she had. And a reckless warlord prince looking for working. Recommending himself. He'd said he wanted to be remembered. And remember she did. "Yes. I know a man who will do nicely for the work.

"Can you weave the illusion? They are not my specialty." Weaving of any sort. She could piece a chalice together from sand. But weaving webs was beyond her abilities. "It will need to be someone we can trust wholly. Maybe we can borrow some power from Aeon. Or possibly Wren's young prince." Ebon-gray fueled illusions should hold up nicely.

She wondered how much he would cost.

"It was a gamble you took, Rhode, not speaking up." Irisviel returned from her deep look inward, focused now on her Seer. "Try not to let it happen again."

Rhode Forrest

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow
    3 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »
A whimper. Not from Rhode who stared up as she spoke to Iris. Oblivious to the fact that her life had almost ended. No, it was Dilan. Small child spirit with tight curls that rivaled Rhode’s own. They waited. All of them.

Waited to see if Iris understood. Or if Rhode would be punished.

She wasn’t afraid. Not to die, or of anything really. Some said she wasn’t smart enough to be scared. Rhode thought it was just not in her nature. She knew death. It was her friend. And it wouldn’t come a moment before it was due. She wasn’t afraid of suffering either. But she didn’t have any excuses for that. Just a lack of ability to summon up the fear.

So she waited with interest as Iris paced and thought. Then smiled lightly when the lady sat after all. Turning to things that Rhode already knew the answers to. ”The one with the flashing teeth.” She nodded agreement. Never having met the man, but seen him from a distance and in her webs.

He would do the job. ”He looked like trouble, I’m sure he’ll be glad to dive into more.” It was meant to be a compliment, but Satti laughed. A rude sort of chuckle that told her she was being strange again. ”You’ll have to help him seal up those barriers properly.”

Mind traps were more the queen’s strength. Perking up Rhode nodded at mention of her own specialty. ”Of course. I can feel it working under my fingers already.” She admitted. The tips of every one rubbing against her skirts. Itching to get to work. ”Yes, good. Either would do nicely. A little compulsion crafted from their Sapphire to make viewers want to believe the illusion...”

Rhode smiled as she thought. Mimi whispering in her ear that she would have to be careful. Too strong an illusion might convince their infiltrator. Blinking back into focus Rhode nodded again. Curls bouncing lightly. ”I’ll try.”

Maybe.

”I can’t every get a handle on that Darion. He moves through places my webs don’t see... so it was better to let the blame fall on me, than you lady- if things had not turned out in Lady Shore’s favor. Better still not to weigh you with such a heavy choice.” She knew that Iris would have come to the same decision she had. Little Terreille always came first. It was an ugly choice to make though. One she was not ashamed to have spared anyone else from.

’You gonna tell her about the Glacia shit?’ Satti reminded. Leaning to rest his elbows on his knees. Long hands smoothing their palms together as if he were about to dig into a hearty meal. It made Rhode a little sad. That the hunger never went away for the darkest jeweled blood. Even in death, it lingered at the corners of their expressions. ”Oh! Right, thank you.” She told Satti before remembering she was supposed to ignore them. Head swinging back around to beam at Iris again. ”The Glacians are coming. To explain whatever nonsense they have going on by the border. Before Winsol, I think, because there were no decorations in the webs.”

Irisviel Crag

Red to Gray
  • Black Widow Queen

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    69 Posts    761 marks
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 10:23:46 AM »

"I will tend his barriers." Eager to open, Irisviel remembered. Begging to be sunk into. She remembered too that thread she'd plucked, the way it had vibrated in answer. A queen at the end, neither really suspecting it lay there, dormant between them. Irisviel callous enough to sacrifice another queen's male. Determined enough to sacrifice her own if she had to.

"I would prefer," Iris pointed out, leaning back on her arms, "to make such decisions myself." It would have been no great loss, should she have died. Part of Irisviel wished she had. Troublesome queen. But even still she could be rid of her. Sent away, kept secret. Dead enough and no longer Irisviel's problem. "Do remember." Did not like secrets in her court. Not from her.

Secrets had bred this current disaster. Secrets had killed Magda.

Eyebrow twitching as Rhode once again spoke to an empty space beyond Iris. What did she see? Grey probes searching the room and finding nothing that was not there. No whiff of the hidden. But Rhode saw something. Gaze shifting, Irisviel studied her Seer. Had never sensed so much as a chalice shiver from the other black widow.

"Yes. There was a rumble, wasn't there." A dark expulsion of power. The source of which lay in her future, though Iris did not know. "I will make sure we're prepared for their arrival." Fine trading partners, but dangerous enemies. Iris would have to be careful with them. But they could starve, so long as her people were fed. She just couldn't let the Glacian's know she thought so.

"Very well Rhode. Weave your illusions. I will see to the rest." She swept from the bed with as much energy as she had fallen to it. Crossing the room in a hum of energy. "Darkness bless you, sister," Iris bid before leaving. She had warlord princes to entire, and barriers to seal shut. A dozen traps to lay, both within his mind and without.

Enemies to see the death of.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open since 2017, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

FALL - AW103

The seasons will change on 11/20.

Recent Topics

Dahl, Audun by kayndred
[Today at 02:12:20 AM]

Ready for Review by kayndred
[Today at 02:11:45 AM]

Mistress Mafia by kayndred
[Yesterday at 10:33:39 PM]

Our Bodies Safe to Shore [cw] by Roan Bélanger
[Yesterday at 06:42:09 AM]

Plots and ships and drama oh my! by Jenn
[September 19, 2020, 07:10:06 PM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Fellowship
Companions | Open Jewels | Kaeleer
Plaguebearers

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner